August Origin and Meaning
The name August is a girl's name of Latin origin meaning "majestic, venerable".
Though associated traditionally (and fashionably) with boys, it has been used occasionally for girls as well – by Garth Brooks and by Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg, for example. But August is used significantly more often for girls these days than traditional feminine variations Augusta and Augustina, and makes for a fresh twist on traditional month names like April and May, as well as an updated spin on season name Autumn.
# 844 in the US
August Rank in US Top 1000
20 Names Similar to August
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like August.
Want to keep track of your favorite names?
Create an account and you can create lists, keep track of favorites, and even be alerted when there is new content posted about a name.
Lists containing August
Famous People Named August
- August Anna Brooksdaughter of singer Garth Brooks
- August Jane Wolfe (b. 2015)daughter of reality TV personality Kim Spradlin Wolfe
- August Theron (adopted 2015)daughter of actress Charlize Theron
- August Zuckerberg (b. 2017)daughter of Mark Zuckerberg and Priscilla Chan
August in Pop Culture
- August Boatwrightcharacter in book/film "The Secret Life of Bees"
- August Lefflercharacter on TV's 3rd Rock from the Sun
- Augustbirth name of Augusta, daughter of Charis in Margaret Atwood's "The Robber Bride"
- August Freycharacter from "A Thousand Perfect Notes" by C.G. Drews