The name Iris is a girl's name of Greek origin meaning "rainbow". Iris is ranked #149 on our popularity charts and is often added to lists like Flower Names for Girls and discussed in our forums with posts like "If I had 8 daughters whose names started with...".
From the experts:
Iris is one of the bouquet of turn-of-the-last-century flower names that is gradually beginning to regain its appeal: it is now at the highest point it has been since the Thirties.
Part of this is due to its celebrity power: Jude Law and Sadie Frost, Renee O'Connor and Judd Apatow and Leslie Mann all chose Iris for their daughters.
In Greek mythology, Iris was the goddess of the rainbow, a messenger for Zeus and Hera who rode the rainbow as a multicolored bridge from heaven to earth. In ancient times, the Iris was considered a symbol of power and majesty, the three petal segments representing faith, wisdom and valor. This colorful image led to the naming of the flower and to the colored part of the eye.
A notable modern bearer was the prolific British novelist Iris Murdoch. Frequently seen on screen, characters called Iris have been played by Jodie Foster, Jane Fonda and Kate Winslet, and Iris Chase is the narrator in the Margaret Atwood novel The Blind Assassin.
Lists containing Iris:
- Geek Chic Names for Girls
- Girl Names Trendier Than You Think
- Classic Girl Names That Aren't Boring
- Two-Syllable Baby Names
- Flower Names for Girls
- British Girl Names
- Vowel Baby Names for Girls
- Supermodel Baby Names
- Old Lady Names
- Hipster Baby Names
- Vintage Baby Names for Girls
- Mythological Baby Names for Girls
- Nature Names for Babies
- Vintage Baby Names
- Girl Names ALWAYS in the Top 1000
- Designer Baby Names
- Spring Baby Names
- Girl Baby Names That End With S
- Cool Baby Names That Start With I
- Classic Rock Baby Names
- Cool Vintage Baby Names
- Girls' Names With Gravity
- Goddess Baby Names
- Rock Star Baby Names
- Baby Name Favorites Right Now
- Baby Girl Names to Love Right Now
- Antique Baby Names Back in Style
- Favorite Names on Nameberry
- Greek Baby Names for Modern Kids
- Stylish Girls' Names That End in Consonants