Jack was, until 2011 when he was unseated by Oliver, for years the Number 1 name in England and hit Number 38 last year, having returned to the Top 100 in 1996. Jack is a durable, cheery everyman form of John, and has been chosen for their sons by dozens of celebs, such as Matt Lauer, Luke Perry, Meg Ryan and Kirk Cameron.
How did John get to Jack? It went from John to Johnkin to Jankin to Jackin to Jack.
Familiar to all from earliest childhood via Jack and Jill, Jack Sprat, Jack and the Beanstalk and Little Jack Horner et al, the name was so common in the Middle Ages that Jack became a generic term for a man.
Jack is still a recent favorite for novel, TV and movie characters, including "24" 's Jack Bauer, "Lost" 's Jack Shepard and "30 Rock" 's Jack Donaghy. Dads especially seem to like Jack.
Jack has been a top name across the English-speaking world, for well over a decade, and is currently still the Number 1 name in Scotland and Ireland.
The jaunty Scottish version is Jock.
Lists containing Jack:
- Relaxed Baby Boy Names
- Boy Names Dads Like More Than Moms
- Coolator for Boys' Names
- Yupster Baby Names for Boys
- TV Character Names
- Classic Baby Names for Boys
- If You Like Alex, You Might Love...
- If You Like Henry, You Might Love...
- If You Like Jack, You Might Love...
- If You Like Will, You Might Love...
- Halloween Baby Names
- Middle Names for Boys
- Baby Name Favorites Right Now
- Popular Baby Names 2017
- Nickname Names
- Fashionable Classic Baby Names
- Most Popular Names for Dogs