The name Alexander is a boy's name of Greek origin meaning "defending men". Alexander is ranked #13 on our popularity charts and is often added to lists like Classic Baby Names for Boys and discussed in our forums with posts like "A Duggarlike Game: With a twist!".
From the experts:
Alexander has been in the Top 25 since 1991. The noble Alexander has led to the popularity of so many spinoffs, such as Alex, Zander, Xan and Zan -- not to mention all the female versions -- that it almost feels as if the name world's been Alextrified out. But namers are still attracted to its imposing historic pedigree.
According to Greek legend, the first Alexander was Paris, who was given the nickname Alexander by the shepherds whose flocks he defended against robbers. He was followed by Alexander the Great, aka Alexander III, who conquered much of Asia. A royal name in Scotland, it is still highly popular there. In Gaelic, the name became Alasdair; in Spain, Alejandro; and in Italy, Alessandro.
Among the many notable Alexanders in history, standouts are Hamilton, Graham Bell, Fleming, Pope and Haig.
Naomi Watts and Liev Schreiber's Alexander is known as Sasha.
Lists containing Alexander:
- If You Like Nicholas, You Might Love...
- The Exoticizer
- Classic Baby Names for Boys
- If You Like Alexander, You Might Love...
- Prince Names
- Traditional Baby Names
- Popular Baby Names for Boys
- A+ Baby Names
- X Factor Baby Names
- Classic Baby Names
- Papal Names
- Middle Names for Boys
- Classic Celebrity Baby Names
- Greek Baby Names for Modern Kids
- Fashionable Classic Baby Names
- English Names with International Style
- 80 Lovely Names for Gemini Babies
- 71 Wonderful Names for January Babies
- 63 Fabulous Names for June Babies