What To Name Your Summer Baby

summer baby names

Summer is one of the nicest times of year to have a baby, the warm weather and slow pace making it that much easier to relax into new motherhood (and, from your baby’s point of view, into life!)  Here, our annual round-up of summer baby names that summon the season:

SUMMER — As a seasonal name, Summer may not be your top choice.  It’s feeling a tad shopworn after coming close to cracking the Top 100 in 1977; it’s been above number 200 for the past fifteen years.  Autumn is more popular but Winter is cooler.

Summer also has three excellent months names that include several usable variations.  These are:

JUNEJUNE, the hip middle name du jour, was out of favor for many years but now is back in a big way.  The name, and the month, are derived from JUNO, the Roman goddess of marriage and finances (great role model!) whose name got a big boost from the teenage heroine of the eponymous film.  The related and obscure JUNIA is a New Testament name.  Male versions include the Spanish JUNOT, popularized by Pulitzer winning writer Junot Diaz, and JUNIUS, Latin for “born in June.”

JULYJulius Caesar gave his name to this month, which has spawned many attractive first name variation.  JULIUS itself is being dusted off by a new generation of parents.  JULIO is the attractive Spanish variation.  For girls, JULIA is one of the most enduring and appealing classics, fashionable now.  The French JULIETTE or English JULIET has a tremendous amount of style and grace, along with JULIANA.  Sixties-style JULIE is the only variation on the wane.

Of course, in July you may want to choose holiday names such as AMERICA or LIBERTY.

AUGUST – All variations of summer’s last month, named for the emperor AUGUSTUS, are also stylish now: AUGUST (for girls as well as boys), AUGUSTINE and AUGUSTEN for boys, even the somewhat grandmotherly AUGUSTA for girls.  And GUS is the new MAX.

Summer calls to mind many nature names, from LAKE to RIVER to DAISY to LILY to SKY and BIRCH.

But covering all of them is too much for the scope of one blog, so we’ll focus on names connected with the sea.  The full list is here but some of the most intriguing examples are:

DENIZ, Turkish boys’ name that means sea.
DYLAN, Welsh god’s name that works for both genders, means “son of the sea.”
HALI, Greek name used for both boys and girls, though in English speaking country, its closeness in sound to Hallie et al may disqualify it for boys.
KAI, Trendy Hawaiian name that works for both genders.
MARIN, MARINE, MARINA
MARIS, MARISA, MARISSA, MARISOL
MORRISEY, Irish name that means, oddly, “sea taboo” and has rocker associations
MORWENNA, Ancient Cornish name meaning “waves of the sea,” newly popular in Wales
MURPHY, Irish surname that means “hound of the sea” and works as well for girls as for boys.
NERIDA, Greek name that means mermaid.
NERISSA, Shakespearean name with Greek pedigree
OCEANE, Popular French choice for girls.
PELAGIA, Another obscure Greek beauty, name of several early saints.
SEATON, English surname meaning town by the sea
THALASSA, Greek sea goddess

Or you might want to go with one of these other names related to the sea:

BAY
BEACH
CORAL
DUNE
PACIFICO
ROCKY
SANDY
SUNNY

And then of course there is LEO, the Zodiac sign for babies born between July 23rd and August 22nd.

* indicates required
Post Categories:

comments

21 Responses to “What To Name Your Summer Baby”

Pearl Says:

June 22nd, 2010 at 2:08 am

Don’t forget birthstones. : )

June: Pearl {awesome name IMO… but of course, I’m a bit biased. : ) }

July: Ruby {a bit too popular for my taste… but still pretty}

August: Peridot {not exactly my taste… but Perry is sheer coolness!}

Awesome blog post, as always! : )

Madeleine Says:

June 22nd, 2010 at 7:39 am

Fun blog post!

I also love Juniper, as an alternative to June and could be a full name for the nickname possibility!

Meredith Says:

June 22nd, 2010 at 8:52 am

You forgot Meredith – meaning protector of the sea. (yes, I know that meaning is debated but it’s seldom my name fits into any category, so I am going with it… )

Becca Says:

June 22nd, 2010 at 9:08 am

@ Pearl I like the birthstone idea! I am a little biased about Pearl too because it was my gmas mn!

I also like Murphy , Julia (biased again cause I have a niece Julia) , Juliana, Lily, Kai & Sunny!

I like Libby but not a fan of the name Liberty!

Emily28 Says:

June 22nd, 2010 at 9:11 am

I am intrigued by Thalassa … pronounced “ta-lassa”??

Any nn suggestions? Don’t think I could use Lassie, even though I do love dogs 🙂

QuirkFlower Says:

June 22nd, 2010 at 9:55 am

Great blog! I did want to point something out, though. The Greek goddess Juno (Hera) actually wasn’t a great role model at all. I would never name a child after her. She had an awful temper and killed/severely punished all the women Zeus cheated on her with. Of course, if you made the comment about her being a good role model sarcastically, and I just didn’t pick up on it, I’m sorry. But I just wanted to point out that she is less than goddessly.

crazycat4904 Says:

June 22nd, 2010 at 10:39 am

Kai, Skye, Daisy, Maisie, Ruby, Pearl, Lake, Lily, Lulu, Lula, Sandy, Summer, Somer, Angus, August, Reza, and Sunny. My summer baby’s name is Liam Angus.

http://www.legitbabenames.wordpress.com Says:

June 22nd, 2010 at 11:12 am

I have met female Denizs. I believe it is considered Unisex in Turkey.

Emmy Jo Says:

June 22nd, 2010 at 12:02 pm

I’m one who has “dusted off” Julius — I have a five month old son who goes by that name.

I also really like the idea of using straight up July. It would sound great as a middle name, especially. It has the same rhythm as the ubiquitous Marie.

Oh, and thanks to Pearl for remembering the birthstones. Too bad peridot doesn’t work, since it’s my birthstone. But peridot is actually the gemstone form of the mineral olivine, and Olivine would sound great as a girls’ name!

Summer Baby Names (Love This List!) « Shiny Brite Says:

June 22nd, 2010 at 1:05 pm

[…] — one born end of July and the other beginning of August. We didn’t strictly choose summer names for them, but we did choose nature-inspired names, which I think have a similar feel. Must be why I […]

Macy Says:

June 22nd, 2010 at 5:40 pm

for boys I liked River, Leo, Kai, Sky, Sunny and Rocky. August is nice too, and heck, why not the name July for boys? Certainly sounds boyish to me.

Lo Says:

June 23rd, 2010 at 9:21 am

Although the origin is not 100% certain, Teresa (or Theresa or Therese) may derive from the Greek word for summer.

Lisa Says:

June 23rd, 2010 at 9:42 am

Again back to Juniper: what about Geneva (meaning Juniper Tree)?

Elisabeth@YCCII Says:

June 23rd, 2010 at 12:48 pm

I’m kind of shocked at how different our lists are! Love all the water references here. Nerissa, Morwenna and Thalassa are all so beautiful. There was a Pacifique the other day on Ohdeedoh.

Saranel Says:

June 24th, 2010 at 10:17 am

Also there is Cordelia, daughter of the sea.

Elea Says:

June 28th, 2010 at 3:13 pm

Haf (HAV) is a very popular name for girls in Wales – particularly as a middle name – which literally means ‘summer’.

Taylor Made Complete Golf Club Sets | Golfing in New England Says:

July 19th, 2010 at 10:30 am

[…] SUMMER BABY NAMES: From June to August – Baby Name Blog – Nameberry […]

Evangeline Says:

October 1st, 2010 at 11:12 am

The other name that I love and is a perfect summer name for a boy is Sebastien I think as he was a ruler of the sea it fits pretty well with summer 😀

JuliaDrucilla Says:

May 17th, 2011 at 11:54 pm

There are lots more Greek ocean names! There’s Posidon, of course, but there’s also Nereus (old man of the sea) and his 50 daughters, the nereids (Amphitrite and Ione come to mind). Aphrodite rose up out of the sea, so that sort of counts. I’m sure there are many more thet I’ve forgotten.

abeezee Says:

October 31st, 2011 at 7:52 am

I like Cay and Cove for names relating to the sea.

k6martin Says:

May 17th, 2013 at 9:29 am

The name Suvi is also a name meaning summer in Finnish