Arthur, once the shining head of the Knights of the Round Table, is, after decades of neglect, now being polished up and restored by some stylish parents.
In addition to its leading role in the Arthurian legends, Arthurs figure prominently in Nathaniel Hawthorne's The Scarlet Letter, Edgar Allan Poe's The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket and George Eliot's Adam Bede. There are also countless Arthurs in children's literature, movies, and TV -- including The Fonz of Happy Days fame. More recently, Arthur was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Santa in the eponymous movie Arthur Christmas.
Arthur has many notable namesakes, including playwright Arthur Miller; writer/astronomer Arthur C. Clarke; writers Arthur Conan Doyle, Arthur Rimbaud and Arthur Koestler; philosopher Arthur Schopenhauer; conductor Arthur Fiedler; and tennis great Arthur Ashe, the first African American to win the U.S. Open. Queen Victoria's seventh child was Prince Arthur.
Arthur was a Top 20 name from at least 1880 through 1926. And in 2011, actress Selma Blair named her son Arthur Saint.
Lists containing Arthur:
- Baby Names Headed for Harvard
- Supermodel Baby Names
- Classic Baby Names for Boys
- Vintage Baby Names for Boys
- Mythological Baby Names for Boys
- Vintage Baby Names
- Royal Names for Boys
- Boy Names ALWAYS in the Top 1000
- Old Man Names
- Celebrity Baby Names
- Boy Baby Names Moving Up Fast
- A+ Baby Names
- Cool Vintage Baby Names
- Baby Names with Animal Meanings
- Names from the 1920s
- Victorian Royal Baby Names
- Old-Fashioned Baby Names
- Names from Harry Potter
- Names from the 1900s
- Antique Baby Names Back in Style
- Fashionable Classic Baby Names
- Great Names for Big Dogs
- Baby Names from Children's Books