The name Oscar is a boy's name of English, Irish origin meaning "God spear, or deer-lover or champion warrior". Oscar is ranked #192 on our popularity charts and is often added to lists like Antique Baby Names Back in Style and discussed in our forums with posts like "Spelling Bee Name Game".
From the experts:
Oscar, a round and jovial choice, is a grandpa name that's fast taking over from such urban trendies as Max and Sam. Actors Hugh Jackman and Gillian Anderson chose Oscar for their sons.
In Irish legend, Oscar was one of the mightiest warriors of his generation, the son of Ossian and the grandson of Finn Mac Cumhaill (MacCool). In addition to being a Swedish royal name, Oscar has been especially popular with Latino families.
Famous Oscars include Wilde (whose given name was Fingal), Isaac, Madison, Hammerstein, Peterson, de la Renta, the Academy Award, and the Grouch.
Lists containing Oscar:
- Boy Names Trendier Than You Think
- The O Names
- Yupster Baby Names for Boys
- Hipster Baby Names
- If You Like Henry, You Might Love...
- Prince Names
- Vintage Baby Names for Boys
- Mythological Baby Names for Boys
- Vintage Baby Names
- Boy Names ALWAYS in the Top 1000
- Cool Vintage Baby Names
- Royal Baby Names
- Old-Fashioned Baby Names
- Middle Names for Boys
- Cute Baby Names
- Cute Baby Names for Boys
- Baby Name Favorites Right Now
- Antique Baby Names Back in Style
- Favorite Names on Nameberry
- Popular Baby Names 2017
- Fashionable Classic Baby Names
- Great Names for Big Dogs
- English Names with International Style
- Most Popular Names for Cats