Isaac has shaved off his biblical beard and leaped into the Top 35, where it's been for the past few years -- outrunning cousin Isaiah -- and showing signs of heading even higher. A favorite of the Puritans, Isaac went on to assume something of a rabbinical image. In the Old Testament, Isaac was the long-awaited son of the elderly Sarah and 100-year-old Abraham, so old that their news provoked laughter, giving the name its meaning.
A baby given this name can point to many distinguished namesakes, including Isaacs (and Izaaks) Newton, Walton, Bashevis Singer, Asimov, Stern and Hayes. The name was somewhat rejuvenated by onetime heartthrob Isaac Hanson.
Isaac also boasts the cute nicknames of Izzy -- now shared, however, with a bevy of Isabellas -- and Ike.
Lists containing Isaac:
- Cool Bible Baby Names
- Two-Syllable Baby Names
- Saints' Names
- Boy Names Trendier Than You Think
- Vowel Baby Names for Boys
- Yupster Baby Names for Boys
- TV Character Names
- Colonial Names for Boys
- If You Like Jacob, You Might Love...
- If You Like Noah, You Might Love...
- Vintage Baby Names for Boys
- Traditional Baby Names
- Cool Baby Names That Start With I
- Bible Names for Boys
- Old-Fashioned Baby Names
- Saints' Names For Boys
- Fashionable Classic Baby Names
- Hebrew Baby Names
- English Names with International Style