The name Isaac is a boy's name of Hebrew, Aboriginal origin meaning "laughter". Isaac is ranked #33 on our popularity charts and is often added to lists like Bible Names for Boys and discussed in our forums with posts like "Baby a Day".
From the experts:
Isaac has shaved off his biblical beard and leaped into the upper echelon of popular boys' names -- outrunning cousin Isaiah -- and shows signs of heading even higher. A favorite of the Puritans, Isaac went on to assume something of a rabbinical image. In the Old Testament, Isaac was the long-awaited son of the elderly Sarah and 100-year-old Abraham, so old that their news provoked laughter, giving the name its meaning.
A baby given this name can point to many distinguished namesakes, including Isaacs (and Izaaks) Newton, Walton, Bashevis Singer, Asimov, Stern and Hayes. The name was somewhat rejuvenated by onetime heartthrob Isaac Hanson.
Isaac also boasts the cute nicknames of Izzy -- now shared, however, with a bevy of Isabellas -- and Ike.
Lists containing Isaac:
- Cool Bible Baby Names
- Two-Syllable Baby Names
- Saints' Names
- Boy Names Trendier Than You Think
- Vowel Baby Names for Boys
- Yupster Baby Names for Boys
- TV Character Names
- Colonial Names for Boys
- Popular Bible Baby Names
- If You Like Jacob, You Might Love...
- If You Like Noah, You Might Love...
- Vintage Baby Names for Boys
- Traditional Baby Names
- Cool Baby Names That Start With I
- Bible Names for Boys
- Old-Fashioned Baby Names
- Saints' Names For Boys
- Fashionable Classic Baby Names
- Hebrew Baby Names
- English Names with International Style
- 63 Marvelous Names for Leo Babies