The name of the young Princess of Cambridge, Charlotte is the latest classic name to join Sophia, Emma, Olivia, and Isabella in a rise toward the top of the list, making Number 7 in the US this year, easily its highest-ever position.
Charlotte is an elegant royal name, with a host of widely varied role models, from Charlotte Brontë to the spidery protagonist of E. B. White's Charlotte's Web to the more recent Charlotte York, aka the prissy one, of Sex and the City. Charlotte is appealing to a wide range of parents because it sounds feminine yet grownup, sophisticated yet lush.
The name was popularized by England's Queen Charlotte Sophia, wife of King George III who ruled in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth century, was the mother of fifteen children, and a patron of Mozart and Bach; Charlotte and George ruled England during the French and American revolutions.
Charlotte is now a pop culture staple—it was Scarlett Johansson's character in Lost in Translation and has been featured on TV shows like Lost and Revenge. The band Good Charlotte was named for a children's book with that title. An all-around winner of a name, Charlotte has been chosen by Chelsea Clinton, Dylan McDermott, Colin Hanks, and Sarah Michelle Gellar and Freddie Prinze Jr.
In addition to Charlie, Lottie makes a cute nickname.
Lists containing Charlotte:
- Hot Celebrity Baby Names
- If You Like Charlotte, You Might Love...
- Girl Baby Names Moving Up Fast
- Coolator for Girls' Names
- Good Girls
- Yupster Baby Names for Girls
- If You Like Caroline, You Might Love...
- Princess Names
- Classic Baby Names for Girls
- Vintage Baby Names for Girls
- Traditional Baby Names
- Royal Names for Girls
- Jane Austen Baby Names
- Girl Names ALWAYS in the Top 1000
- Baby Names from Books
- Girls' Names With Gravity
- Royal Baby Names
- Victorian Royal Baby Names
- Literary Baby Names
- Baby Name Favorites Right Now
- Antique Baby Names Back in Style
- Popular Baby Names 2017
- Fashionable Classic Baby Names
- Names for City Babies
- Baby Names from Children's Books
- English Names with International Style