Adele Origin and Meaning
Adele is both a saint's and a royal name, having originated as the French version of the German Adela. It's one of the most stylish girl names starting with A.
Molly Ringwald chose Adele for one of her twins, and Fred Astaire's first dancing partner was his older sister Adele.
Historically, Adele was the name of the youngest daughter of William the Conquerer. Music lovers might associate the name with a character in Johann Strauss's operetta Die Fledermaus, while a prime literary reference is Jane Eyre's young charge.
Adele Rank in US Top 1000
20 Names Similar to Adele
Lists containing Adele
- Stylish L Baby Names
- Hot New Names of the 2010s
- Hot New Names of the 2010s
- Taurus Baby Names
- Elegant Alternatives to Charlotte
- Gorgeous Alternatives to Georgia
- Baby Names Headed for Harvard
- Serious Names for Boys and Girls
- Vintage Baby Names
- Girl Names With Gravity
- Musician Baby Names
- Feminine Girl Names
- Names That Mean Noble
- Best Girl Names Starting with Vowels
- May Baby Names
- Celebrity-Inspired Baby Names
- Vintage Girl Names
- Jewish Baby Names
- Old-Fashioned Cat Names
Famous People Named Adele
- Adele (Laurie Blue Adkins)British singer,songwriter
- Adèle ExarchopoulosFrench actress
- Adele Marie AstaireAmerican dancer
- Adele Emily Sandébirth name of Emeli Sandé, British singer,songwriter
- Adele Mara (born Adelaide Delgado)American actress
- Adele DeGardeAmerican actress
- Adele GriffinAmerican novelist
- Adele Katie SilvaEnglish actress
- Adèle King aka TwinkIrish singer of girl group Maxi, Dick and Twink; mother of singer Chloë Agnew of Celtic Woman
- Adèle HaenelFrench actress
- Adèle Hugoyoungest daughter of novelist Victor Hugo
- Adele Georgiana (b. 2009)daughter of American actress Molly Ringwald
- Phoebe Adele Gates (b. 2002)daughter of Microsoft chairman Bill Gates
- Adele BlochBauer, model for Gustav Klimt's "The Woman In Gold"
Adele in Pop Culture
- Adele von Glanzreich from the animeOushitsu Kyoushi Heine (The Royal Tutor), the name goes by a German pronunciation, ah,DAY,la.
- Adele VarensMr Rochester's ward and Jane's young pupil in "Jane Eyre" by Charlotte Bronte
- Adele DronsartBelgian pupil at Mlle (Zoraide) Reuter's in "The Professor" (1857) by Charlotte Bronte
- Adele Stackhousecharacter on TV's "True Blood"
- Adele Webbercharacter on "Grey's Anatomy"
- Adele Ratignollecharacter in Kate Chopin's"The Awakening" (1899)
- Adele the Singing Coach Fairycharacter in book series "Rainbow Magic"
- Adele Invergordancharacter in movie "The Legend of Bagger Vance"
- Adele Robertscharacter in "The Hollow Kingdom" by Clare Dunkle
- Adelecharacter in film"Blue is the Warmest Color", portrayed by Adele Exarchopoulos
- Adele de Pignerollescharacter in G. A. Henty's "A Cornet of Horse"
- "Adele Dazeem" John Travolta's infamous mispronunciation of "Idina Menzel"
- Adele WayneDwayne's mother on TV sitcom "A Different World"