In the Top 30 in England and Wales, Lucy is slowly but surely catching up here as well, due to its attractiveness on so many levels: Lucy is both saucy and solid, a saint's name and heroine of several great novels, and is associated with characters as diverse as the bossy Lucy in Peanuts, the psychedelic "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds," and the madcap I Love Lucy.
The English form of the equally appealing Roman Lucia, which derives from the Latin word "lux" meaning "light," Lucy/Lucia was at one time given to girls born at dawn. Lucy Lockit was featured in John Gay's comic opera The Beggar's Opera; Lucy Snowe is a main character in Charlotte Brontë's novel Villette.
Currently, Lucy Liu has imparted a new strength to the name; Lucy Stone was an important American activist.
Lists containing Lucy:
- If You Like Charlotte, You Might Love...
- Coolator for Girls' Names
- The Exoticizer
- Good Girls
- Yupster Baby Names for Girls
- If You Like Lucy, You Might Love...
- Classic Baby Names for Girls
- Vintage Baby Names for Girls
- Girl Names ALWAYS in the Top 1000
- TV Mom Names
- Cool Baby Names That Start With L
- Names Inspired by The Beatles
- Saints' Names for Girls
- Cute Baby Names for Girls
- Girls' Names That End in Y
- Baby Name Favorites Right Now
- Antique Baby Names Back in Style
- Most Popular Names for Dogs