The name Clara is a girl's name of Latin origin meaning "bright, clear". Clara is ranked #96 on our popularity charts and is often added to lists like Old Lady Names and discussed in our forums with posts like "Quintuplet Game-GIRLS".
From the experts:
Long relegated to an Olde World backwater, the European-flavored Clara has been speeding up the charts on sleeker sister Claire's coattails for the past few decades. Now, many would say the vintage chic Clara is the more stylish of the two names. Actor Ewan McGregor was an early celebrity adopter of the name for one of his daughters.
Clara has been a popularity list stalwart and is currently as popular as it has been since the 1940s. Clara was a Top 10 name in the 1880's, at one time associated with the silent screen 'It Girl,' Clara Bow, and before that with German musician and composer Clara Schumann and Red Cross founder Clara Barton, who was born Clarissa.
Clara is beloved for her leading role in The Nutcracker ballet and as Heidi's invalid friend.
Other Clara variations you might want to consider include Clarissa and Clarina, though Clarabelle seems still fit mainly for cows.
Lists containing Clara:
- Girl Names Trendier Than You Think
- Classic Girl Names That Aren't Boring
- If You Like Josephine, You Might Love...
- Girl Baby Names Moving Up Fast
- Good Girls
- Yupster Baby Names for Girls
- Old Lady Names
- If You Like Alice, You Might Love...
- Hollywood Glamour Girl Names
- Vintage Baby Names for Girls
- Vintage Baby Names
- Heroine Baby Names
- Girl Names ALWAYS in the Top 1000
- Christmas Baby Names
- Steampunk Baby Names
- College Baby Names
- Old-Fashioned Baby Names
- Names from the 1910s
- Antique Baby Names Back in Style
- Favorite Names on Nameberry
- Fashionable Classic Baby Names
- Baby Names from Children's Books
- English Names with International Style
- Urban Prairie Names