Samson Origin and Meaning
Samson was, of course, the supernaturally strong champion of the Israelites against the Philistines who was betrayed by Delilah, as dramatized in more than one technicolor epic. But the more it is used for children today, the more the name is able to move away from that image.
Sampson is a variant spelling--Sampson Brass is a character in the Dickens novel The Old Curiosity Shop, Samzun is the interesting Celtic spelling, Sansone the Italian version.
The story of Samson has been translated into a number of works of art, including Milton's poetic drama Samson Agonistes, an oratorio by Handel, an opera by Saint-Saens, and paintings by Rembrandt and Rubens.
Samson Rank in US Top 1000
20 Names Similar to Samson
Want to keep track of your favorite names?
Create an account and you can create lists, keep track of favorites, and even be alerted when there is new content posted about a name.
Lists containing Samson
- Names to Substitute for Noah
- Superhero Names
- Space Baby Names
- Boy Names That Peaked in 2018
- Cancer Baby Names
- Saints' Names For Boys
- Names All Your Friends Will Think Are Cool
- Cool Biblical Baby Names
- British Baby Names
- Leo Baby Names
- Literary Boy Names
- Alternatives to Adam
- July Baby Names
- Vintage Boy Names
- Son Baby Names
- Biblical Baby Names
- Vintage Baby Names
- Remarkable Weather Baby Names
- Antique Baby Names Back in Style
- Pilgrim Names
- Hipster British Baby Names for Boys
- Cool Saints' Names for Babies
- Disney Baby Names
- Literary Baby Names
- Bible Names for Boys
- Hebrew Baby Names
- Jewish Baby Names
- Names That Mean Sun
Famous People Named Samson
- SamsonBiblical man given supernatural strength by God to defeat his enemies
- Saint Samson of Dolone of the founder saints of Brittany
- Samson Pascal FrançoisFrench pianist and composer
- Samson SateleAmerican NFL football player
- Samson Raphael HirschGerman rabbi, founder of Torah im Derech Eretz
- Samson SiasiaNigerian footballer
- Samson MahbodCanadian,American ice hockey player
Samson in Pop Culture
- "Samson" song by Regina Spektor
- "Samson and Delilah" song by the Grateful Dead
- SamsonBritish hard rock band
- Brock Samsoncharacter in 'The Venture Brothers'
- Samson Rydera hard, cold man in Anna Sewell's "Black Beauty" (1877)
- Samsonmonkey on British children's TV series "Captain Mack"
- Samsoncharacter in Ingrid Law's "Savvy" and "Scumble"