Latin, Slavic, Arabic, Sanskrit"admirable; peace; female ruler; ocean"
Mira Origin and Meaning
The name Mira is a girl's name of Latin origin meaning "admirable; peace; female ruler; ocean".
This name owes its present life to actress Sorvino. Mira and Mirra have an arty aura. Mira is a true cross-cultural choice, with the literal meaning of "look" in Spanish, a peaceful meaning in several Eastern European languages, a well-used name in Arabic cultures meaning queen-like or a female ruler, and a nature name in Sanksrit. In Greek, it means "fate, destiny". Mira can also be a short form of Miryam or Miranda.
# 485 in the US
Mira Rank in US Top 1000
20 Names Similar to Mira
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Mira.
Lists containing Mira
- Space Baby Names
- Girl Names That Peaked in 2018
- Short and Strong Girl Names
- Star and Planet Names
- Capricorn Baby Names
- Top Baby Names 2021
- Names with Good Meanings
- Names That Mean Earth
- Italian Word Names
- Favorite Names on Nameberry
- Spanish Word Names
- Names That Mean Honor
- Names That Mean Peace
- Names That Mean Water
- Nature Names for Babies
- Magical Christmas Baby Names
- Muslim Names
- Names That Mean Ocean
- Jewish Baby Names
- Names That Mean Ruler or Royal
Famous People Named Mira
- Mira Katherine SorvinoAmerican actress
- Mira AroyoBulgarian musician & songwriter
- Mīrā Anwar ‘AwaḍIsraeli Arab singer, actress & songwriter
- Mira FurlanCroatian singer & actress
- Mira LeungCanadian figure skater
- Mira NairIndian,American film director
- Mira SchorAmerican artist and writer
- Mira SkoricSerbian singer
- Mira GonzalezAmerican poet
- Mira Scherdin CraigNorwegian singer
- Mira LesmanaIndonesian songwriter
- Mira Zimińska (born Marianna Burzyńska)Polish actress
Mira in Pop Culture
- Mira (Omicron Ceti)variable red giant star in the constellation Cetus
- Miracharacter on TV's "Spartacus"
- Miraa Shiba Inu dog in the "Silent Hill" series
- MiraJane, character in anime "Fairy Tail"
- Major Mira Killianprotagonist in the anime & movie "Ghost in the Shell"
- Dr. Charlotte Miracharacter in J.D. Robb's "In Death" series
- Mira Forrestercharacter in the video game Telltale's "Game of Thrones"
- Olivier Mira Armstronga character in the "Fullmetal Alchemist" series
- Sybil Miracharacter in the "Lunar Chronicles" by Marissa Meyer
- Miramale character in Chris Colfer's book "Land of Stories"
- Miracharacter in the video game "Zero Time Dilemma"
- Mira Novacharacter from the Disney/Pixar's animated series "Buzz Lightyear of Star Command"; princess of the planet Tangea and a Space Ranger
- Miracle "Mira" Pembertona character in "The Five Kingdoms" by Brandon Mull