Maude Origin and Meaning
Maud's early popularity was influenced by the Tennyson poem that included the oft-quoted line, "Come into the garden, Maude." Then, in the 1970's, along came the sitcom Maude, featuring the vociferous and opinionated character Maude Finlay, putting a very different spin on the name. But enough decades have now passed for the name to have settled back into its soft, sweet pastel image.
The Maud spelling has British royal associations via the daughter of Edward VII, who later became Queen of Norway; Maud Gonne was a famous Irish political activist.
20 Names Similar to Maude
Lists containing Maude
- Names with Military Meanings
- Geek Chic Names for Girls
- Unusual Antique Baby Names
- Stylish Girl Names That End in Consonants
- Vintage Baby Names
- Unique Middle Names for Girls
- Victorian Girl Names
- Middle Names for Girls
- Hipster Baby Names
- One-Syllable Middle Names for Girls
- Yupster Baby Names for Girls
- Fastest-Rising Names on Nameberry
- Vintage Girl Names
- Names That Mean Strong, Brave or Powerful
- Black Hero Names
- Old Lady Names
- Names That Mean Warrior, Soldier, or Knight
- One-Syllable Baby Names
- Middle Names for Baby Girls and Boys
- Old-Fashioned Baby Names
- Hipster British Girl Names
- Medieval Names
- One Syllable Girl Names
- Unique Girl Names: Unusual Names for Your Baby Woman
- British Baby Names
- Victorian Names from the 1800s
- Unique Cat Names
- Old-Fashioned Girl Names
- Old-Fashioned Names
- Old-Fashioned Cat Names
- Movie Character Names
- Cool Classic Girl Names — 100+ below the Top 1000
- Best Unique Baby Names
Famous People Named Maude
- Maude aka MatildaHoly Roman Empress consort of Henry V; claimant to the English throne
- Maude ApatowAmerican actress; daughter of film director Judd Apatow and actress Leslie Mann
- Maude Amber McAfeeMaggart, American singer; sister of Fiona Apple
- Maude GeorgeAmerican actress
- Maude AllenAmerican actress
- Maude EburneCanadian actress
- Maude Victoria BarlowCanadian activist
- Maude Turner GordonAmerican actress
- Maude Phelps McVeigh HutchinsAmerican novelist
- (Ellen) Maude Careyfirst woman postmaster in the British Empire
- Maude NugentAmerican singer and composer
- Maude Gabrielle HarchebFrench singer and TV personality
- (Agnes) Maude RoydenEnglish preacher and suffragist
- Maude FayAmerican operatic soprano
- Maude Dominica Mary PetreEnglish nun, writer and critic
- Maude Mary (Hawk) FealyAmerican silent film actress
- Maude Ewing AdamsAmerican actress; first person to play Peter Pan in America
- Lucy Maude (L.M.) MontgomeryCanadian novelist
Maude in Pop Culture
- Maude Findlaymain character on TV's "Maude"
- Maude Flanderscharacter on TV's "The Simpsons"
- Maude Lebowskicharacter in film "The Big Lebowski"
- Princess Maudecharacter in The Pillars of the Earth series
- Maude Colemancharacter from Tracy Chevlair's "Falling Angels"
- Marjorie "Maude" Chardinmain character in 1971 film "Harold & Maude"
- Maude Guillorycharacter in 1984 film "Micki & Maude"
- Maudea character in TV’s BoJack Horseman