English"near the holly bushes"
Hollis Origin and Meaning
The name Hollis is both a boy's name and a girl's name of English origin meaning "near the holly bushes".
Hollis is a surname-name used quietly for both genders. At last count, it was given to 199 baby boys and 163 baby girls in the US. It has notable connections for both genders: Hollis Thompson is a professional (male) basketball player, while Hollis is an outsized favorite for girls in South Carolina, where Pete Hollis was a community folk hero. On the girls' side, it makes Holly more buttoned-up and distinctive.
20 Names Similar to Hollis
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Hollis.
Famous People Named Hollis
- Hollis ThompsonAmerican basketball player
Hollis in Pop Culture
- Hollis Collegeuniversity on "Pretty Little Liars"
- Hollisfrom TV series "Mad About You"
- Hollis Doyleelevator operator from "Mad Men”
- Hollis Wilsonfrom the book The Passage by Justin Cronin.
- Hollis "Holly" Woodcharacter from the from 1941