The name Jonah is a boy's name of Hebrew origin meaning "dove". Jonah is ranked #155 on our popularity charts and is often added to lists like Bible Names for Boys and discussed in our forums with posts like "Baby a Day".
From the experts:
Jonah, the name of the Old Testament prophet who was swallowed by the whale, only to emerge unharmed three days later, is increasingly appreciated by parents looking for a biblical name less common than Jacob or Joshua, yet not too obscure. Plus, Jonah comes with a ready-made nursery-decorating motif.
The appealing Jonah has been featured in such movies as Sleepless in Seattle"and Knocked Up and is currently represented by actor/writer Jonah Hill.
Jonas is the Greek version.
Lists containing Jonah:
- Two-Syllable Baby Names
- Saints' Names
- Alternatives to Adam
- Yupster Baby Names for Boys
- Rocker and Rapper Kids' Names
- Popular Bible Baby Names
- Names to Substitute for Aaron
- Names to Substitute for Jacob
- Names to Substitute for Noah
- Vintage Baby Names for Boys
- Celebrity-Inspired Baby Names
- Disney Channel Baby Names
- Early African-American Names
- Bible Names for Boys
- Names That Mean Peace
- Magical Christmas Baby Names
- Names with Animal Meanings
- Saints' Names For Boys
- Antique Baby Names Back in Style
- Fashionable Classic Baby Names
- Hebrew Baby Names