The name Harry is a boy's name of German origin meaning "estate ruler". Harry is ranked #649 on our popularity charts and is often added to lists like Old Man Names and discussed in our forums with posts like "Adding then Eliminating - Boys Themed".
From the experts:
We're just wild about Harry! Harry was everyone's elderly uncle until Princess Diana, following British royal tradition, named her son Henry but called him Harry. Then Harry Potter became a rage and Harry Styles of One Direction became the hottest boy bander of the new millennium. Thus, Harry's avuncular image was history. Harry is still much more popular in England, Ireland, and Scotland than it is in the US, but its classic yet unpretentious image makes it a recommended choice.
Harry is the medieval English form of Henry, and was the nickname of all eight King Henrys; it is also a diminutive of Harold and Harrison. Harry was a Top 20 name in the US from 1880 to 1918, and continued in the Top 100 into the 1950s (hence the song "I'm Just Wild About Harry"), and has countless worthy namesakes, including Truman, Belafonte, and Houdini.
Among the celebs who have chosen this good guy name for their sons are David Letterman (it was his father's name), Simon Baker, and Billy Bob Thornton. It's also found in a number of movie titles from The Trouble with Harry to Dirty Harry to When Harry Met Sally.
Lists containing Harry:
- Baby Names with No Nicknames
- Two-Syllable Baby Names
- Relaxed Baby Boy Names
- Boy Names Dads Like More Than Moms
- Yupster Baby Names for Boys
- Nicknames for Boys
- Classic Baby Names for Boys
- Mad Men Names
- Names to Substitute for Alex
- Names to Substitute for Henry
- Names to Substitute for Will
- Vintage Baby Names for Boys
- Celebrity-Inspired Baby Names
- Old Man Names
- Cool Vintage Baby Names
- Baby Names from the 1920s
- Olympic Baby Names
- Names from Harry Potter
- Literary Baby Names
- Names That Mean Ruler or Royal
- Cute Baby Names for Boys
- Baby Names from Children's Books
- English Names with International Style
- Most Common Names for Boys