The name Cyrus is a boy's name of Persian origin meaning "sun". Cyrus is ranked #427 on our popularity charts and is often added to lists like Cool Boy Names From Ancient Cultures and discussed in our forums with posts like "Creative Nicknames".
From the experts:
Very popular in the Iranian community, this name of the founder of the Persian Empire has had a more down-home, corncob pipe-smoking image for most Americans in the past, but this has begun to change.
The powerful Cyrus the Great was the fifth century B.C. Persian leader who conquered Babylon to establish his empire. Since his name is mentioned in the Old Testament, it was fashionable with the Puritans.
Cyrus McCormick was the inventor of the reaper, and Cyrus Vance was Secretary of State under Jimmy Carter. The name is also associated these days with singer Miley Cyrus.
Claire Danes and Hugh Dancy named their baby boy Cyrus, and there have been Cyruses on Gossip Girl, Law & Order and Scandal. Ciro is the catchy Italian version.
Lists containing Cyrus:
- Movie Character Names
- Cool Boy Names From Ancient Cultures
- Colonial Names for Boys
- 206 Inspirational Baby Names That Mean Hope
- Vintage Baby Names
- Boy Baby Names Moving Up Fast
- 156 Sparkling Summer Baby Names
- Steampunk Baby Names
- 125 Remarkable Weather Baby Names
- Boy Baby Names That End in S
- Fashionable Classic Baby Names
- 63 Beautiful Names for Sagittarius Babies
- 63 Marvelous Names for Leo Babies
- 55 Amazing Names for August Babies
- 105 Hot Baby Names that Mean Fire