Humphrey Origin and Meaning
Humphrey is an old name that might have faded completely were it not for that Bogie flair. A royal name in Britain, where it's used somewhat more frequently, Humphrey might just have some life beyond Bogart here, especially with the recent interest in the names of Golden Age Hollywood stars. His first name was the maiden name of his mother, Maud Humphrey, a well-known illustrator who used baby H. as a model.
Humphrey was brought to England by the Normans and was made famous by Duke Humphrey, the fifteenth century Duke of Gloucester and youngest son of Henry IV, a noted patron of literature, who appears in Shakespeare's Henry IV. In other literature, Humphrey Wasp is a character in Ben Jonson's Bartholomew Fair, and the eponymous hero of Tobias Smollett's early novel Humphrey Clinker. In James Joyce's Finnegans Wake Humphrey Climpden Earwicker represents the everyman.
Bottom line: An interesting name with a noirish edge.
Humphrey Rank in US Top 1000
Humphrey Rank in Nameberry Top 1000
20 Names Similar to Humphrey
Famous People Named Humphrey
- Humphrey DeForest BogartAmerican actor
- (David) Humphrey Rivers KerEnglish actor and comedian
- Humphrey GilbertEnglish explorer and MP; half,brother of Sir Walter Raleigh
- Humphrey LytteltonEnglish jazz musician and composer
- Humphrey of Lancaster1st Duke of Gloucester, 1st Earl of Pembroke, youngest son of King Henry IV of England
- Humphrey BateAmerican harmonica player and bandleader
- Humphrey SearleEnglish composer
- Humphrey OceanEnglish painter
- Humphrey Edward Gregory AtkinsBaron Colnbrook, English MP and cabinet minister
- Humphrey WellsAmerican politician; 11th governor of Georgia for 2 days
Humphrey in Pop Culture
- Humphrey Reptonlandscape gardener in Jane Austen's "Mansfield Park"
- Humphrey Applebycharacter on British TV series "Yes, Minister"
- Humphrey CadwalladerRector in the 1871 novel “Middlemarch” by George Elliot
- Humphrey the BearWalt Disney cartoon character
- Humphreyhamster in the "According to Humphrey" series by Betty Birney
- Daniel Humphreycharacter in the Gossip Girl series
- DI Humphrey Goodmandetective inspector on British/French TV series "Death In Paradise"