The name Emilia is a girl's name of Spanish, Italian, Hungarian origin meaning "rival". Emilia is ranked #74 on our popularity charts and is often added to lists like Antique Baby Names Back in Style and discussed in our forums with posts like "Quintuplet Game-GIRLS".
From the experts:
Emilia, the lovely feminine form of the Roman clan name Aemilius, is rising as an Emily/Amelia alternative. Its one problem is that it sounds like and is often seen as interchangeable with Amelia, which has a different root and meaning.
Emilia also has Shakespearean appeal as the wife of Iago and confidante of Desdemona in Othello. In modern pop culture, Emilia is the name of the main character in The Princess Diaries and the first name of Game of Thrones and Solo star Emilia Clarke.
Emilia is currently enjoying high popularity across some diverse cultures -- it's near the top of the charts in Iceland, Finland, Austria, Poland and Chile.
Lists containing Emilia:
- Italian Baby Girl Names Beyond Rosa & Rosetta
- If You Like Emily, You Might Love...
- Vowel Baby Names for Girls
- If You Like Emma, You Might Love...
- Classic Baby Names with a Twist
- Shakespearean Names
- Classic Celebrity Baby Names
- Antique Baby Names Back in Style