The name Edward is a boy's name of English origin meaning "wealthy guardian". Edward is ranked #169 on our popularity charts and is often added to lists like Middle Names for Boys and discussed in our forums with posts like "Baby a Day".
From the experts:
Unlike perennials William, John and James, Edward is a classic that moves in and out of fashion. This royal Anglo-Saxon standard has benefited in recent years from the popularity of the hot hero of the vampire sensation Twilight -- Edward Cullen -- who has given his name a new infusion of cool.
Edward was the name of several Saxon and eight English kings, and is the name of the youngest son of the current queen. It was an early arrival in the New World -- there were several Edwards in the Jamestown colony and six on the Mayflower.
Youngish actors Edwards Norton, Burns and Furlong help keep the name's image fresh. Parents today are more likely to prefer nicknames Ted or Ned to the traditional Ed or Eddie -- or, just as likely, to use the name in full.
Lists containing Edward:
- Baby Names Headed for Harvard
- Names to Substitute for Edward
- Coolated Boys' Names
- Best Boy Names Starting with Vowels
- Literary Names for Boys
- Classic Boy Names
- Names to Substitute for Henry
- Traditional Baby Names
- Vampire Baby Names
- Royal Names for Boys
- Jane Austen Baby Names
- Boy Names ALWAYS in the Top 1000
- Charming Easter Baby Names
- Victorian Royal Baby Names
- Classic Baby Names
- Middle Names for Boys
- Top 1900s Baby Names
- Top 1930s Baby Names
- Classic Celebrity Baby Names
- Popular English Boys' Names
- Baby Names from Children's Books
- Most Common Names for Boys
- Names That Mean Wealth
- Serious Names
- Names That Mean Fame and Fortune
- Pilgrim Names
- Middle Names