Cecilia, a delicate and lacy feminine form of Cecil, which derives from a Roman clan name, has definitely been rediscovered. The martyred Saint Cecilia was designated the patron of musicians, either because she supposedly sang directly to God while the musicians played at her wedding, or because as she was dying she sang to God--in either case making it a fitting name for opera star Cecilia Bartoli.
On TV, the Cecelia spelling variation was the name chosen for Pam and Jim's baby on The Office; in real life the name of the daughters of Vera Wang and Soledad O'Brien.
Cecilia is also a Dickens character name in Hard Times, and appears in the novels Atonement and The Virgin Suicides, and The Hunger Games series, as well as being the subject of a memorable Simon & Garfunkel song.
Cecilia, Celia and Cecily are all nameberry faves. Cecelia is an accepted spelling variation you may want to consider if you plan to shorten the name to Celia or Cece.
Lists containing Cecilia:
- If You Like Charlotte, You Might Love...
- Antique Baby Names Ready for Restoration
- Roman Names
- Classic Girl Names That Aren't Boring
- Girl Baby Names Moving Up Fast
- If You Like Caroline, You Might Love...
- Vintage Baby Names for Girls
- Hunger Games Baby Names
- Classic Rock Baby Names
- Girls' Names With Gravity
- Stylish L Baby Names
- Roman Names for Girls
- Saints' Names for Girls
- Favorite Names on Nameberry
- Popular Baby Names 2017
- Fashionable Classic Baby Names
- Christian Baby Names