The name Adelaide is a girl's name of German origin meaning "noble, nobility". Adelaide is ranked #276 on our popularity charts and is often added to lists like Old Lady Names and discussed in our forums with posts like "Names on NB that make you go WOW!".
From the experts:
Adelaide is now heading straight uphill on the coattails of such newly popular sisters as Ava, Ada, and Audrey, and in the company of Adeline and Amelia. It was chosen by actress Katherine Heigl for the name of her second daughter.
Adelaide gained fame as the noble German princess who married the British King William IV in 1830 and became known as "Good Queen Adelaide," inspiring the name of the Australian city and a craze for her name. Earlier, St. Adelaide was married to Otto the Great and became Empress of the Holy Roman Empire, described as "a marvel of beauty and goodness."
When Aussie actress Rachel Griffiths (also mother of son Banjo) chose Adelaide for her daughter, she said she'd been inspired by the city, Miss Adelaide in Guys and Dolls, and the Disney character in The Aristocats. Adelaide can also be found in works by Thomas Hardy and Agatha Christie.
Lists containing Adelaide:
- Girl Names Trendier Than You Think
- Girl Baby Names Moving Up Fast
- Best Girl Names Starting with Vowels
- Old Lady Names
- Vintage Baby Names for Girls
- Place Names for Babies
- Vintage Baby Names
- Royal Names for Girls
- A+ Baby Names
- Disney Baby Names
- Victorian Royal Baby Names
- Old-Fashioned Baby Names
- Names with Inspirational Meanings
- Saints' Names for Girls
- Classic Celebrity Baby Names
- Baby Name Favorites Right Now
- Baby Girl Names to Love Right Now
- Antique Baby Names Back in Style
- Names for City Babies
- Stylish Girls' Names That End in Consonants
- Australian Baby Names: Aussie Favorites
- German Shepherd Puppy Names
- Libra Baby Names