English diminutive of Euphemia, Greek"pleasant speech"
Effie Origin and Meaning
The name Effie is girl's name of Greek origin meaning "pleasant speech".
Effie is the old-fashioned short form for Euphemia. It shares a vintage charm with Hattie and Letty although is much rarer than either. Effie is a character in The Hunger Games and Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants.
20 Names Similar to Effie
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Effie.
Famous People Named Effie
- Euphemia Chalmers "Effie" GrayEnglish wife to painter John Everett Millais and art critic John Ruskin
- Effie ShannonAmerican silent film actress
- Effie Louise PowerAmerican pioneering children's librarian
- Euphemia "Effie" EllslerAmerican actress of stage and screen
- (Marie) Effie WiltonLady Bancroft, English actress
- Euphemia "Effie" GermonAmerican actress
- Effie CrockettAmerican actress
- Effie CherryAmerican vaudevillian of the Cherry Sisters act
- Effie Hotchkissfirst transcontinental female motorcyclist with her mother Avis Hotchkiss
- Effie McCollum JonesAmerican Universalist minister and suffragette
- Effie Mae SmithAmerican R&B singer
- Effie Adelaide Maria RowlandsBritish novelist
Effie in Pop Culture
- Effie Kaligarischaracter in "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" series
- Effie Trinketcharacter in "The Hunger Games" trilogy
- Effie Whitea main character from musical "Dreamgirls"
- Euphegenia "Effie" Doubtfiretitle character in the film "Mrs. Doubtfire"
- EffieHannah Gruen's scatterbrained niece in the Nancy Drew series
- "Effie Briest" novel by German realist writer Theodor Fontane and its main character
- Effiecharacter from the video game "Fire Emblem Fates"