The name Sylvester is a boy's name of English, Latin origin meaning "wood, forest". Sylvester and is often added to lists like Saints' Names For Boys and discussed in our forums with posts like "Baby a Day".
From the experts:
This name of three early popes has been associated in recent years with a cocky cartoon cat ("Thufferin' thuccatash!") and the Italian Stallion hero of the Rocky and Rambo movies (who was born Michael)--and yet we think it just might be ready to move further back into the mainstream.
Sylvester was at its height in the 1920s, when it was in the Top 200, and hung on in the lower rungs of the ladder until 1994. Lately the name has been most visible as a surname--that of Sue Sylvester on Glee.
Trivia tidbit--in the 1935 movie Sylvia Scarlett, the young Katharine Hepburn disguises herself as a boy named Sylvester--until she meets Cary Grant!
Lists containing Sylvester
Sylvester in Blog Posts
- Arbor Day Names: If you love the tree but not the name
- Unique Baby Names, Nameberry Style!
- March Celebrity Babies: Poppy, Percy & Blues
- Middle Names First, Celebrity Style: Meet Troyal Garth Brooks & Hannah Dakota Fanning
- Alliterative Baby Names in Pop Culture: Luna Lovegood and Lucy Liu
- Baby Names for Boys: Popularity of "S" and "Sh" sounds
Sylvester in the Forums
16 names similar to Sylvester
These 16 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Sylvester. If you didn't find an alternative name that you like better than Sylvester, try our name generator. It allows you to go beyond the similarities of a name, which can provide a lot of inspiration!