Rowena Origin and Meaning
The name Rowena is a girl's name of Welsh origin meaning "white spear or famous friend".
A fabled storybook name via the heroine of Sir Walter Scott's novel Ivanhoe (1819), which featured a heroine called Rowena of Hargottstanstede, and also a Harry Potter name, as Rowena Ravenclaw, founder of one of the Hogwarts houses.. Rowena has some old-fashioned charm, though most modern parents seem to prefer Rowen. Pronunciation, however, is NOT like Rowen with an a at the end, but with a long e and an emphasis on the middle syllable.. She was on the popularity list until 1963, several years in the Top 500.
20 Names Similar to Rowena
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Rowena.
Lists containing Rowena
- Unique Baby Names: Unusual and Rare
- White Cat Names
- Names from Harry Potter
- Beautiful Bohemian Names for Girls
- Best Three Syllable Baby Names
- Serious Names for Boys and Girls
- Names That Mean Friend or Friendly
- Friendly Dog Names
- Girl Names With Gravity
- Cool Classic Girl Names — 100+ below the Top 1000
- Gothic Baby Names
- Scottish Baby Names
- Unique Baby Girl Names
- Cool Names That Mean Blond
- Offbeat Baby Names
- Heroine Baby Names
- Fastest-Rising Names on Nameberry
- Steampunk Baby Names
- Vintage Girl Names
- Names That Mean Pure
- Names That Mean Fame and Fortune
- Names That Mean White or Fair
- Cool Winter Baby Names
- Witch, Wizard, and Warlock Names
Famous People Named Rowena
- Rowena CooperZimbabwean,British actress
- Rowena Othlie JacksonNew Zealand ballerina
- Rowena Fischer Meeks AbdyAmerican painter
- Rowena MooreAmerican civil rights activist
- Rowena A. MorrillAmerican illustrator
- Rowena WallaceAustralian actress
- Rowena Evelyn WebsterAustralian Olympic water polo player
- Rowena TsaiAmerican YouTuber
- Rowena FulhamNew Zealand footballer
- Rowena Granice SteeleAmerican actress and novelist
- Rowena Josephine KingEnglish actress
- Rowena BradleyCherokee (Native American) basket,weaver
- Rowena Alissa KennettThai VJ
Rowena in Pop Culture
- Rowena of Hargottstandstedecharacter in "Ivanhoe" by Sir Walter Scott
- Rowena Trevanioncharacter in "Ligeia" by Edgar Allan Poe
- Rowena Ravenclawfounder of one of the four Hogwarts houses in the Harry Potter series
- Rowena Morgancharacter in "Mr. Holland's Opus"
- Rowena Greenecharacter in "Once a Witch" by Carolyn McCullough
- Rowenaduchess character in "Barbie in the Twelve Dancing Princesses"
- Rowenacharacter in "Supernatural"
- Rowenawife of King Vortigern in British legend
- Rowenacharacter in Kevin Crossley,Holland's "Gatty's Tale"
Find your type.
Analyze your Baby Name DNA and find the names that match your unique style.