The name Roman is a boy's name of Latin origin meaning "citizen of Rome". Roman is ranked #91 on our popularity charts and is often added to lists like Antique Baby Names Back in Style and discussed in our forums with posts like "Baby a Day".
From the experts:
Roman -- a surprise hit name of recent years -- owes much of its popularity to Cate Blanchett and Debra Messing, who almost simultaneously chose Roman for their sons, as Molly Ringwald did later.
In fact, several relatives of Roman are also newly stylish, from Romy to Romilly to Romeo. Definitely a romantic name, however you use it.
Well known Romans include director Polanski (born Raimund), Polish photographer Vishniac, and onetime star quarterback Gabriel. Francis Ford Coppola has a son named Roman, who is a director now himself.
The French version is Romaine -- and literary parents might appreciate the fact that 'roman' is the French word for novel.
Lists containing Roman:
- Hot Celebrity Baby Names
- Names to Substitute for Reed
- Boy Names Dads Like More Than Moms
- Boy Names Trendier Than You Think
- Cool Boy Names From Around the World
- TV Character Names
- Supermodel Baby Names
- Rocker and Rapper Kids' Names
- Hipster Baby Names
- Vintage Boy Names
- Vintage Baby Names
- Celebrity Baby Names
- Boy Baby Names Moving Up Fast
- Cool Vintage Baby Names
- Soap Opera Baby Names
- Classic Celebrity Baby Names
- Baby Name Favorites Right Now
- Baby Names Everyone Thinks Are Cool
- Antique Baby Names Back in Style
- Favorite Names on Nameberry
- Popular Baby Names 2017
- Fashionable Classic Baby Names
- Names for City Babies