Merlin Origin and Meaning
The name Merlin is a boy's name of Welsh origin meaning "sea fortress".
This name of the famous fifth-century sorcerer and mentor of King Arthur may or may not be a bit wizardy for a real-life modern child. Its most noted modern bearer: football star turned actor Merlin Olsen, whose father was named Merle.
20 Names Similar to Merlin
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Merlin.
Want to keep track of your favorite names?
Create an account and you can create lists, keep track of favorites, and even be alerted when there is new content posted about a name.
Lists containing Merlin
Famous People Named Merlin
- Merlin de Douai (born PhilippeAntoine Merlin), French politician and lawyer
- Merlin de Thionville (born AntoineChristophe Merlin), French revolutionary
- Merlin SantanaAmerican actor
- Merlin OlsenAmerican football player and actor
- Merlin Hollandgrandson of novelist Oscar Wilde
- Merlin MannAmerican podcaster of 43 Folders
- Merlin Ferry (b. 1991)son of singer Bryan Ferry
- Merlin Esra Besson (b. 1992)son of musician Richard Z. Kruspe of Rammstein
- Merlin Sheldrake (b. 1992)son of biologist and author Rupert Sheldrake; brother of Cosmo
- Merlin van Lawickgrandson of primatologist Jane Goodall
Merlin in Pop Culture
- Merlinwizard of Arthurian legend
- Merlin Langstaffcharacter from the TV series "The Worst Witch"
- Merlinfemale character in manga/anime The Seven Deadly Sins (Nanatsu no Taizai)
- Merlina type of bird (Latin name: Falco columbarius)
- Feminine variation: Merline
- Merlin Wizardcharacter on Bee and Puppycat