The name Malachi is a boy's name of Hebrew origin meaning "my messenger". Malachi is ranked #155 on our popularity charts and is often added to lists like Bible Names for Boys and discussed in our forums with posts like "what's the best first name for this middle name?".
From the experts:
An Old Testament name with a Gaelic lilt, Malachi entered the list in 1987.
In the Bible, Malachi (pronounced with the final syllable as EYE), was the last of the twelve Hebrew prophets, who foretold the coming of Christ.
In Anthony Trollope's Phineas Finn, Malachi is the name of the hero's father, and in James Joyce's Ulysses, Malachi Mulligan is a medical student. The lighter-hearted Irish version is usually spelled Malachy.
Lists containing Malachi
Malachi in Blog Posts
- Dad Names: Updates for Alpha Babes
- Zodiac Baby Names: Gems for Gemini Babies
- Halloween Baby Names: Creepy Names that (mostly) survived horror movies
- Newest Girl Babyberries: The 3rd Quarterly Report of 2013, from Ada to Xanthe
- Magical Cirque du Soleil Names
- Color Names: Thinking outside the Crayola box
Malachi in the Forums
16 names similar to Malachi
These 16 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Malachi. If you didn't find an alternative name that you like better than Malachi, try our name generator. It allows you to go beyond the similarities of a name, which can provide a lot of inspiration!