The name Jonas is a boy's name of Greek origin meaning "dove". Jonas is ranked #446 on our popularity charts and is often added to lists like Bible Names for Boys and discussed in our forums with posts like "Elimination CAF".
From the experts:
Jonas has a slightly more grandfatherly image than the English version of his name, but that only adds to its retro appeal. And though it may lag behind Jonah in this country, Jonas is riding a huge wave of popularity in Europe, where it ranks highly in Germany, Switzerland, Austria and Norway.
Over time, it has been associated with Dr. Jonas Salk, developer of the anti-polio vaccine, and tween fave group the Jonas Brothers. Charles Dickens used the name for a character in Martin Chuzzlewit.
Lists containing Jonas:
- Yupster Baby Names for Boys
- Colonial Names for Boys
- Disney Channel Baby Names
- Bible Names for Boys
- Names with Animal Meanings
- Celebrity Surnames as Firsts
- Greek Baby Names for Modern Kids
- Baby Names from Children's Books
- English Names with International Style
- October Baby Names