The name Ida is a girl's name of German origin meaning "industrious one". Ida and is often added to lists like Old Lady Names and discussed in our forums with posts like "Favourite Names in the last signature".
From the experts:
Many vowel names stylish a century ago are coming back, and Ida seems like a possible, logical successor to Ada and Ava.
A century ago, Ida was considered "sweet as apple cider," and was Number 10 on the hit parade of names. Its popularity then was inspired by a Tennyson poem, of which the Gilbert and Sullivan operetta Princess Ida, was a "respectful operatic perversion."
Ida hasn't been in the Top 1000 since the 1980s, but we do see it as slated to rise again. It is hugely popular right now in Scandinavia—Number 3 in Denmark, Number 10 in Norway, and Number 43 in Sweden, where it's pronounced EE-da.
Ida appears in Greek and Hindu mythology; Mount Ida, on Crete, is considered the birthplace of the god Zeus.The British-born actress-director Ida Lupino has been its most well known bearer in the US.
Lists containing Ida:
- Unusual Antique Baby Names
- Geek Chic Names for Girls
- Short & Strong Girl Names
- Best Girl Names Starting with Vowels
- Old Lady Names
- Space Baby Names
- Alternatives to Ava
- Names to Substitute for Emma
- Offbeat Baby Names
- Vintage Baby Names
- Heroine Baby Names
- Short Baby Names
- Cool Baby Names That Start With I
- Cool Vintage Baby Names
- Film Noir Baby Names
- Old-Fashioned Baby Names
- Cool Classic Girls’ Names — 100+ below the Top 1000
- Unique Vintage Names for Girls
- German Shepherd Puppy Names
- Hipster British Baby Names for Girls
- Urban Prairie Names
- Girl Names Uncommon in the US
- July Baby Names
- Beautiful Bohemian Names for Girls
- Cool Cowgirl Names