The name Athena is a girl's name of Greek origin. Athena is ranked #127 on our popularity charts and is often added to lists like Mythological Baby Names for Girls and discussed in our forums with posts like "Baby a Day".
From the experts:
Athena is the name of the daughter of Zeus who was the goddess of wisdom, warfare, handicrafts, mathematics, and courage (and that's just a partial listing), and the great patroness-goddess of the city of Athens. In the Odyssey, Homer describes her as 'sparkling-eyed Athena.'
Athena is a distinctive name that could appeal to enlightened parents who particularly prize intelligence. It's one of the most widely used of the ancient Goddess-Baby-Names">goddess names that are finding such favor in the contemporary Western world.
Athene is another version, and Athena's Roman counterpart is Minerva.
In the Disney movie The Little Mermaid, Athena is the mother of Ariel.
Tina Fey turned to her Greek heritage for both of her second daughter's names: Penelope Athena--and this has spurred interest in Athena, even though it's in middle place.
Lists containing Athena:
- Girl Baby Names Moving Up Fast
- Baby Names That Mean Wise
- 85 Spiritual Baby Names
- Mythological Baby Names for Girls
- Early African-American Names
- Classic Rock Baby Names
- Goddess Names for Babies
- Rock Star Baby Names
- Greek Baby Names for Modern Kids
- Hipster British Baby Names for Girls
- Reptile Names
- 61 Great Names for Aquarius Babies
- 60 Fantastic Names for Virgo Babies
- 48 Gorgeous Greek Goddess Names for Baby Girls