Leonard Origin and Meaning
The name Leonard is boy's name of German origin meaning "brave lion".
Leonard is the name of several saints, including one who is the patron saint of childhood, and another medieval saint who's the patron of prisoners--known for freeing prisoners he deemed worthy of God. Popular from 1900 to 1930, Leonard is perhaps more notable for those who dropped the name when they entered show biz than those who kept it: former Leonards include Roy Rogers and Tony Randall. Two musical Leonards did keep their names though--composer-conductor Leonard Bernstein and poet-singer Leonard Cohen. Leonard Woolf was the husband and publisher of great English novellist Virginia Woolf. These days, modern parents tend to prefer Leo or the romantic Italian Leonardo, especially since Leonard does not get pronounced with the trendy "Leo" sound.
# 649 in the US
Leonard Rank in US Top 1000
20 Names Similar to Leonard
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Leonard.
Famous People Named Leonard
- Leonard BernsteinAmerican composer
- Leonard NimoyAmerican actor
- Leonard CohenCanadian singer
- Leonard MaltinAmerican film critic
- Leonard "Lenny" KravitzAmerican singer
- Leonard SusskindAmerican physicist, one of the fathers of string theory
- Leonard HankersonAmerican football player
- Leonard JohnsonAmerican football player
- Leonard PopeAmerican football player
- Leonard Walter JeromeAmerican businessman and grandfather of Winston Churchill
- Leonard Alfred Schneiderbirth name of Lenny Bruce, American comedian
- Leonard Kimball FirestoneAmerican businessman, ambassador and philanthropist
- Leonard Barrie "Barry" CorbinAmerican actor
- Leonard FreemanAmerican TV writer/producer, creator of "Hawaii Five,0"
- Leonard Sandlerson of actors Kathryn Hahn and Ethan Sandler
- Winston Leonard SpencerChurchill, British politician
- Elmore John LeonardAmerican novelist
Leonard in Pop Culture
- Leonard "Lenn(y)" / "Leo" Snart aka Captain Coldcharacter in DC Comics
- Leonard Leakey Hofstadtermain character on TV's "The Big Bang Theory".
- Leonard "Lenny" Kosnowskimain character on TV's "Laverne and Shirley"
- Leonard "Bones" McCoya main character on TV's "Star Trek".
- Leonard Bankheadmain character in "The Marriage Plot" by Jeffrey Eugenides
- Leonard "Lenny" Federcharacter in movie "Grown Ups"
- Leonard L. Churcha main character on Rooster Teeth's "Red vs. Blue"
- Leonarda poodle in the movie "The Secret Life of Pets"
- Leonard W. Briscoea character from Law and Order
- Leonard Vanderboomcharacter from Rusty Lake: Roots
- Leonard Cooperson of Sheldon & Amy Cooper, mentioned in the "Young Sheldon" episode "Graduation" on November 5, 2020