The name Viola is a girl's name of Italian, Latin origin meaning "violet". Viola and is often added to lists like Gorgeous Flower Names for Babies and discussed in our forums with posts like "Adding Then Eliminating -- Girls Themed".
From the experts:
Viola has several positive elements going for it: the rhythm of the musical instrument, the association with the flower, the trending 'Vi' beginning and its leading role in Shakespeare's Twelfth Night.
In the Bard's gender-bending comedy of identity and disguise, Viola is the appealing, passionate heroine. Later takes on this tale include Shakespeare in Love, with Gwyneth Paltrow as Viola de Lesseps and She's the Man starring Amanda Bynes.
The most distinguished current bearer is Oscar- and Emmy-winning actress Viola Davis.
Viola was a Top 50 name from 1899 to 1911, falling off the list in 1972, but is still popular in other countries such as Italy, where it is Number 15. And with Violet not sounding quite as fresh as it did, the strong Viola could find herself back in the running.
Lists containing Viola:
- Cool Names for Winter Babies
- Gorgeous Flower Names for Babies
- Old Lady Names
- Musical Baby Names
- Shakespearean Names
- Cool Classic Girls’ Names — 100+ below the Top 1000
- Names from the 1900s
- Unique Vintage Names for Girls
- Top Italian Baby Names
- Popular Italian Baby Names
- Lovely Names for Gemini Babies
- Girl Names Uncommon in the US
- Lovely Names for February Babies
- Amazing Names for August Babies
- Unique Celebrity Baby Names