Selma Origin and Meaning
The name Selma is a girl's name of German origin meaning "godly helmet".
After decades of playing mah-jongg with her buddies Bernice and Myrna, Selma has been given a somewhat more youthful spin via actresses Selma Blair and Salma Hayek. Popular in the early 19th century, it is still #34 in both Sweden and Norway. Selma won a Nobel Prize via Swedish author Selma Lagerlof, the first woman to win for literature.
20 Names Similar to Selma
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Selma.
Want to keep track of your favorite names?
Create an account and you can create lists, keep track of favorites, and even be alerted when there is new content posted about a name.
Lists containing Selma
Famous People Named Selma
- Selma Ottilia Lovisa LagerlöfSwedish author; 1st woman to win Literature Nobel Prize
- Selma AdzemBosnian singer
- Selma BajramiAlbanian,Bosnian pop star
- Selma BlairAmerican actress
- Selma BjörnsdóttirIcelandic singer
- Selma ErgecTurkish,German actress, beauty queen, & doctor
- Selma HarringtonBosnian,Irish architect & designer
- Selma KurzAustrian opera singer
- Selma MekicBosnian TV host
- Selma YagciTurkish boxer
- Selma DiamondAmerican actress
Selma in Pop Culture
- Selma Bouviercharacter on "The Simpsons;" twin of sister Patty
- Selma Maletcharacter in Mary A. Dickens' "Cross Currents"
- Selmacharacter in Kenize Mourad's "Regards from the Dead Princess"
- Selmacharacter on "The Crazy, Confused & Normal"
- Selma Ježkovámain character in the musical "Dancer in the Dark"
- Selma St. Georgecharacter in Stephen King's Dolores Claiborne
- Selma QuicklyCharacter in the Nanny McPhee series
- Selmacity in Alabama
- "Selma" 2014 film about the civil rights march in Selma, Alabama