The name Phoebe is a girl's name of Greek origin meaning "radiant, shining one". Phoebe is ranked #319 on our popularity charts and is often added to lists like Bible Names for Girls and discussed in our forums with posts like "Love, Like, Lose... Name Game- GIRLS".
From the experts:
A mythological, biblical, Shakepearean, and Salinger name, the warm and captivating Phoebe was given a boost in popularity by one of the Friends.
In classical mythology, Phoebe is the by-name of Artemis, goddess of the moon and of hunting. In the New Testament, she is a church deaconess. Shakespeare used the name (spelled Phebe) for a rustic denizen of the forest in As You Like It, Phoebe Pynchon was a cheerful young girl in Hawthorne's The House of Seven Gables, while Phoebe is Holden Caulfield's sympathetic, precocious ten-year-old sister in Catcher in the Rye.
Bill and Melinda Gates used Phoebe for their daughter.
Lists containing Phoebe:
- Geek Chic Names for Girls
- Cool Bible Baby Names
- Girl Baby Names Moving Up Fast
- Saints' Names
- Baby Names That Mean Wise
- Colonial Names for Girls
- Vintage Baby Names for Girls
- Mythology Baby Names for Girls
- Offbeat Baby Names
- Vintage Baby Names
- Early African-American Names
- Cool Baby Names That Start With P
- Bible Names for Girls
- Baby Names with Animal Meanings
- Girls' Names With Gravity
- Goddess Names for Babies
- Saints' Names for Girls
- Favorite Names on Nameberry
- Bohemian Baby Names
- Fabulous Names for Capricorn Babies
- Great Names for Aquarius Babies
- Gorgeous Greek Goddess Names for Baby Girls
- Excellent Names for September Babies
- Beautiful Bohemian Names for Girls