Malachy Origin and Meaning
This spelling, which came to the attention of readers of the best-selling Angela's Ashes as the name of author Frank McCourt's father and brother, the latter of whom wrote a bestseller of his own, lends the biblical name a more expansive, almost boisterous image. Malachy is one of the Irish baby names that manages to strike the golden mean between familiarity and distinctiveness.
Malachy is also the anglicized version of Melaghlin, one of St. Patrick's first companions. It was borne by the High King Malachy, who defeated the Vikings at the Battle of Tara in 980. St. Malachy was a reformer who reorganized the church in Ireland after the Viking raids.
Another origin, via a somewhat circuitous route, is from the surname Mac Seachnaill, "son of Seachnall", the Irish form of Secundus.
Irish actor Cillian Murphy has a son named Malachy.
20 Names Similar to Malachy
Lists containing Malachy
- Bold Bohemian Names for Boys
- Irish Names for Dogs
- February Baby Names
- November Baby Names
- European Names
- European Boy Names
- Unusual Boy Names
- Cool Saint Names for Babies
- Saint Names
- Saints' Names For Boys
- Confirmation Names for Boys
- Best Irish Boy Names
- Unique Irish Boy Names
- Unique Irish Names
Famous People Named Malachy
- Saint Malachy11th century Irish Archbishop of Armagh
- Malachy Gerard McCourtIrish,American actor and writer
- Malachy Bowes DalyCanadian politician, former lieutenant governor of Nova Scotia
- Malachy Ã CaollaidheIrish Archbishop of Tuam
- Malachy SalterCanadian merchant and politician
- Malachy PostlethwaytEnglish author of "The Universal Dictionary of Trade and Commerce"
- Malachy ConeyNorthern Irish comics writer and artist
Malachy in Pop Culture
- Malachy Doylecharacter on TV's "Republic of Doyle"
- Malachy "Mal" Fishercharacter on British soap "Hollyoaks"
- Malachy "Buck" Mulligancharacter in "Ulysses" by James Joyce