Piers Origin and Meaning
Piers was the first version of Peter to reach the English-speaking world, via the Normans, but it's never made it in the US, despite its large measure of understated panache. This might change due to the high visibility of TV personality and former news editor Piers Morgan.
There's a famous satirical medieval poem called Piers Plowman, in which the title character symbolizes the virtues of honesty and industry. Piers Whiteoak is a main character in the sixteen-book series Jalna by Canadian author Mazo de la Roche; Piers Polkiss is the best friend of Harry's cousin Dudley in the Harry Potter books.
The surname form of the name, Pierce, is better known in the U.S., partly via actor Pierce Brosnan.
Piers Rank in Nameberry Top 1000
20 Names Similar to Piers
Famous People Named Piers
- Piers Gaveston1st Earl of Cornwall, 'favourite' of King Edward II
- Piers Anthony (Dillingham Jacob)English,American novelist
- Piers TaylorBritish architect
- Piers Stefan PugheMorgan, British TV personality and journalist
- Piers Damian G. FacciniBritish singer
- Piers Richard CorbynEnglish weather forecaster
- Piers Paul ReadEnglish novelist and historian
- Ryan Piers WilliamsAmerican actor
- Piers PhelanEnglish Fighter Pilot
Piers in Pop Culture
- "Piers Plowman" medieval narrative poem by William Langland and its main character
- Piers Polkisscharacter from "Harry Potter" series by J.K. Rowling
- Piers Nivanscharacter from the video game "Resident Evil 6"