The name Maeve is a girl's name of Irish origin meaning "she who intoxicates". Maeve is ranked #360 on our popularity charts and is often added to lists like Mythology Baby Names for Girls and discussed in our forums with posts like "Quintuplets (mixed)".
From the experts:
Maeve is a short and sweet legendary ancient Irish queen's name that has become one of the most stylish Irish names for girls in the modern US. Maeve would make an excellent first or middle name choice, with more character and resonance than Mae/May and more modern charm than Mavis.
Maeve appears in Irish mythology in two forms, one as the powerful Queen of Connacht, the other as the queen of the fairies.
Chris O'Donnell, Lili Taylor and Kathryn Erbe used Maeve for their daughters. The Irish author Maeve Binchy also is a well-known bearer. Maeve is the name of one of the lead characters on the HBO show Westworld.
Irish spelling Meabh is popular in Ireland, but not recommended in the US. Other spellings are Medb and Meadhbh.
Lists containing Maeve:
- Irish Baby Names for Girls
- Baby Names with No Nicknames
- Names to Substitute for Kaitlyn
- Short & Strong Girl Names
- Cool Girl Names From Around the World
- Cool Middle Names
- TV Character Names
- Alternatives to Ava
- Mythology Baby Names for Girls
- One-Syllable Middle Names for Girls
- Exotic Lite Baby Names
- Middle Names for Girls
- Baby Name Favorites Right Now
- Favorite Names on Nameberry
- Popular Baby Names 2017
- Fashionable Classic Baby Names
- Middle Names