Herbert Origin and Meaning
The name Herbert is a boy's name of German origin meaning "bright army".
Names ending in bert have long been in limbo, but with the return of Albert, maybe there's hope for Herbert. who could share the Bertie nickname. Herbert is a name that's been used by English speakers since medieval times, and was in the Top 25 in the US in the late 1920s, around the time of the presidency of Herbert Hoover, but there's been no sight of Herbert in the 21st century. Some Herberts, including novelists H. G. Wells and H. E. Bates, have preferred to go by their initials.
20 Names Similar to Herbert
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Herbert.
Want to keep track of your favorite names?
Create an account and you can create lists, keep track of favorites, and even be alerted when there is new content posted about a name.
Lists containing Herbert
- Names with Military Meanings
- Top 1900s Baby Names
- Top 1920s Baby Names
- Geek Chic Names for Boys
- Best Old Man Names
- Best British Boy Names
- British Baby Names
- Serious Names for Boys and Girls
- Cool Classic Boy Names — 100+ below the Top 1000
- Vintage Baby Names
- Spooky Halloween Baby Names
- Brilliant Names That Mean Light
- November Baby Names
- Names That Mean Warrior, Soldier, or Knight
- Top 1910s Baby Names
- Names That Mean Hope
- Hipster Baby Names
- Hipster British Baby Names for Boys
- Urban Prairie Names
- Old People Names
Famous People Named Herbert
- Saint HerbertFrench bishop of Marmoutier and archbishop of Tours
- Herbert Clark Hoover31st U.S. president
- Herbert Henry Asquith1st Earl of Oxford and Asquith, British prime minister
- Herbert George "H.G." WellsEnglish novelist
- Herbert Ernest "H.E." BatesEnglish novelist
- Herbert Anthony Stevens IV aka AbSoul, American rapper
- Herbert FrohlichGerman,born British physicist
- (Horatio) Herbert Kitchener1st Earl Kitchener, British field marshal and WWI secretary of war
- Herbert von Karajan (born HeribertRitter von Karajan), Austrian conductor
- Herbert SpencerEnglish philosopher
- Herbert Jeffrey "Herbie" HancockAmerican jazz pianist
- Herbert Wilfred "Herbie" TaylorSouth African cricketer
- Herbert Okechukwu Maduagwubirth name of Herbie Hide, British boxer
- Herbert Tremenheere "Herbie" HewettEnglish cricketer
- Herbert Leslie "Herbie" CollinsAustralian cricketer
- Herbert Jay Solomonbirth name of Herbie Mann, American jazz flautist
- Herbert Alexander SimonAmerican political scientist
- Herbert MarcuseGerman,American philosopher
- Herbert Louis Samuel1st Viscount Samuel, British home secretary, first British Jew to lead a political party
- Herbert AsburyAmerican journalist and crime writer
- Herbert Lom (born Herbert Charles Angelo Kuchačevič ze Schluderpacheru)Czech,born British actor
Herbert in Pop Culture
- Herbertwarthog on animated series "64 Zoo Lane"
- Herbert PocketPip's friend and companion in Dickens' "Great Expectations"
- Sir Herbert Subboysold knight in John Marston's play "The Dutch Courtesan" (1605)
- Herbert Birdsfoot"Sesame Street" Muppet
- Herbertpederast character on TV's "Family Guy"
- Herbert TravillaElsie Dinsmore Travilla's son in Elsie Dinsmore series
- Herbert Garrisonteacher on TV's "South Park"
- "Herbert West: Reanimator" story, film and character by H.P. Lovecraft
- Herbert P. Bearcharacter from computer game Club Penguin
- Herbert Carringtoncharacter in Elsie Dinsmore series
- Herbert Rippinghallcharacter in G. A. Henty's "Friends Though Divided"
- Herbert "Bertie" Pelham7th Marquess of Hexham, character on TV's "Downton Abbey"