The name Arabella is a girl's name of Latin origin meaning "yielding to prayer". Arabella is ranked #187 on our popularity charts and is often added to lists like British Girl Names and discussed in our forums with posts like "How many ____s do you know?".
From the experts:
Arabella, lovely and elegant, has long been well used in Britain and finally made it onto the American list in 2005; it is now among the US Top 200 popular baby names and a top name on Nameberry, as more and more parents see it as a distinctive alternative to the mega-popular Isabella. Its meaning may also be interpreted as "beautiful," thanks to -bella.
Arabella has been a great favorite in English novels, dating as far back as Samuel Richardson's Clarissa and Henry Fielding's Tom Jones, and also appeared in The Vicar of Wakefield, Dickens's Pickwick Papers, George Eliot's Felix Holt and Thomas Hardy's Jude the Obscure, and more recently in Harry Potter.
Arabella is the title of a lyric comic opera by Richard Strauss, and was chosen for their daughters by Ivanka Trump and Dr. Oz. A real life heroine is Arabella Mansfield (born Belle Aurelia), the first American woman to become a lawyer.
Arabella is a recommended, sophisticated choice.
Lists containing Arabella:
- Baby Names That Mean Beautiful
- If You Like Charlotte, You Might Love...
- Girly Girl Baby Names
- Girl Names Trendier Than You Think
- If You Like Isabella, You Might Love...
- Girl Baby Names Moving Up Fast
- British Girl Names
- Vowel Baby Names for Girls
- Yupster Baby Names for Girls
- Literary Names for Girls
- If You Like Alexandra, You Might Love...
- If You Like Caroline, You Might Love...
- If You Like Gabriella, You Might Love...
- Vintage Baby Names
- Celebrity Baby Names
- A+ Baby Names
- Pretty Girl Names
- Steampunk Baby Names
- Stylish L Baby Names
- Romantic Baby Names for Girls
- Names from Harry Potter
- Belles of the Ball
- Baby Name Favorites Right Now
- Favorite Names on Nameberry
- Posh Baby Names
- Popular Baby Names 2017
- Feminine Girl Names