Amaryllis Origin and Meaning
The name Amaryllis is a girl's name of Greek origin meaning "to sparkle".
If you love both unique baby names and flower names for girls, Amaryllis might be a perfect choice for you. A showier flower name than Lily, but in the same botanical family, Amaryllis is not as outre as it might at first sound. It was used in Greek poetry as the appellation of pure pastoral beauties; Amaryllis is the heroine of Virgil's epic poem Ecologues, after whom the flower was named. Other references are characters in the George Bernard Shaw play Back to Methuselah and The Music Man. James Bond-creator Ian Fleming had a half sister named Amaryllis Marie-Louise Fleming, who was a noted British cellist.
20 Names Similar to Amaryllis
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Amaryllis.
Lists containing Amaryllis
- Unique Baby Names: Unusual and Rare
- Fancy, Elegant, Sophisticated Baby Names
- Four Syllable Names for Girls
- Fancy Girl Names
- Stylish Girl Names That End in Consonants
- Unique Vintage Names for Girls
- Four Syllable Baby Names
- New Year's Baby Names
- Literary Girl Names
- December Baby Names
- January Baby Names
- Girl Names That End With S
- Best Girl Names Starting with Vowels
- Steampunk Baby Names
- Literary Baby Names
- Girly Girl Baby Names
- Nature Names for Babies
- Names That Mean New and New Beginnings
- Unique Nature Names for Babies
- Vibrant Spring Baby Names
- Flower Names for Baby Girls and Boys
Famous People Named Amaryllis
- Amaryllis MarieLouise Fleming, British cellist
- Amaryllis Virginia GarnettEnglish actress and diarist; granddaughter of Vanessa Bell and grand,niece of Virginia Woolf.
- Amaryllis KnightAmerican co,founder of Falcon Motorcycles
- Amaryllis CollymoreAfro,Barbadian slave who gained her freedom from her relationship with a white man
- Amaryllis Foxwife of political icon Robert F. Kennedy III
- Isabella Amaryllis Charlotte AnstrutherGough,Calthorpe , daughter,in,law of Sir Richard Branson and one time love interest of Prince William
Amaryllis in Pop Culture
- Amaryllischaracter in "The Music Man"
- Amaryllis Idenartistic heroine of Amaryllis at the Fair (1887) by Richard Jefferies
- Amaryllischaracter in movie "Public Enemies" played by Alyssa Milano
- "Amaryllis" song and album by band Shinedown
- "Cruda Amarilli" song by Claudio Monteverdi (1605)
- Amaryllis of Exilecharacter in "The Penumbra Podcast"
Find your type.
Analyze your Baby Name DNA and find the names that match your unique style.