Russian and Scandinavian variation of Sophia"wisdom"
Sonia Origin and Meaning
The name Sonia is a girl's name of Scandinavian, Russian, Ukrainian origin meaning "wisdom".
Early European import, well known in the 1940s via Norwegian skating movie star Sonja Henie, that has sailed back across the Atlantic, despite the rising popularity of other Russian names.
# in the US
Sonia Rank in US Top 1000
# 1062 on Nameberry
Sonia Rank in Nameberry Top 1000
20 Names Similar to Sonia
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Sonia.
Famous People Named Sonia
- Sonia Gandhi (born Edvige Antonia Albina Maino)Italian,Indian politician, widow of Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi
- Sonia RykielFrench fashion designer
- Sonia Maria SotomayorU.S. Supreme Court justice
- Sonia DelaunayFrench artist
- Sonia O'SullivanIrish Olympic runner
- Sonia (Evans)English pop singer
- SONiA (Rutstein)American singer,songwriter
- Sonia ToddAustralian actress
- Sonia Yesenia Cruz (Ayala)Miss El Salvador Universe 2010
- Sonia McMahonAustralian socialite, widow of William McMahon
- Sonia Phyllis Hurwitzbirth name of Shari Lewis, American ventriloquist and puppeteer ("Lamb Chop")
- Sonia BragaBrazilian actress
Sonia in Pop Culture
- Sonia Nevermindprincess in Japanese game "Super Dangan Ronpa 2"
- Sonia Fowlercharacter on British soap "EastEnders"
- Sonia Strummcharacter in the Mega Man Star Force video game series
- Sonia Alcanacharacter in DC Universe
- SoniaHindi for "my love."
- Sonia Wyattdaughter of Leslie Knope on TV's "Parks and Recreation".
- Soniaduck in Disney's animated adaptation of "Peter and the Wolf"
- Soniacharacter in Japanese games "Pokémon Sword" and "Pokémon Shield"