English, diminutive of Patricia"noble, patrician"
Patsy Origin and Meaning
The name Patsy is both a boy's name and a girl's name of English origin meaning "noble, patrician".
This sassy, spunky name was used for the mostly Irish jump-roping pigtailed girls of the thirties and forties -- and some Irish and Italian boys as well. Its most noted bearer was iconic country music singer Patsy Cline (born Virginia), and was sighted most recently in the Ab Fab movie. After reaching Number 52 in the late thirties, it dropped off the list completely in 1970--and we're not anticipating a return.
20 Names Similar to Patsy
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Patsy.
Famous People Named Patsy
- Patsy Cline (born Virginia Patterson Hensley)American country music singer
- Patsy Palmer (born Julie Anne Harris)English actress
- Patricia Lee "Patsy" Reddy21st Governor,General of New Zealand
- Patsy Montanastage name of Ruby Rose Blevins, American country music singer
- Patricia Jude Francis "Patsy" KensitEnglish actress
- Patsy Matsu Takemoto Minkformer U.S. congresswoman from Hawaii
- Patricia Amy "Patsy" RowlandsEnglish actress
- Patsy O'Connell ShermanAmerican chemist and inventor of Scotchgard
- Patricia Ann "Patsy" RamseyAmerican former beauty queen and mother of murder victim JonBenet Ramsey
Patsy in Pop Culture
- Patsy Stonecharacter on British sitcom "Absolutely Fabulous"
- Patsy Sewercharacter on Canadian TV's "Instant Star"
- Patsy Edischaracter on Australian soap "Neighbours"
- Patsy Stansfield Martincharacter in G. A. Henty's "No Surrender"
- Patience "Patsy" Mountcharacter on TV's "Call the Midwife"