German, Dutch, and Scandinavian, diminutive of Johannes
Hans Origin and Meaning
The name Hans is boy's name of German origin.
Though familiar to all via such childhood icons as Hans Brinker, Hans(el) and Gretel, and Hans Christian Andersen, few Americans have chosen this name for their sons because of its intractably Old Country image.
20 Names Similar to Hans
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Hans.
Famous People Named Hans
- HansAdam I (born Johann Adam Andreas), Sovereign Prince of Liechtenstein
- HansAdam II (born Johannes Adam Ferdinand Alois Josef Maria Marco d'Aviano Pius), Sovereign Prince of Liechtenstein
- Hans Christian AndersenDanish children's writer
- Hans Holbein the Elder and YoungerGerman painters
- Hans Florian ZimmerGerman film composer
- Hans MathesonScottish actor
- Hans Albrecht BetheGerman and American nuclear physicist and Nobel Prize winner
- Hans Warren ChristieCanadian actor
- Hans Georg ConriedJr., American character actor, very active in voice,over roles and comedian
- Hans Aspergerdiscoverer of Asperger's syndrome.
- Hans von EulerChelpin, winner of the Nobel Prize for Chemistry
- Hans Fischerwinner of the Nobel Prize for Chemistry
- Hans Spemannwinner of the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine
- Hans Adolf Krebswinner of the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine
- Hans Georg Dehmeltwinner of the Nobel Prize in Physics
Hans in Pop Culture
- "Hans Brinkeror the Silver Skates," children's book by Mary Mapes Dodge
- Hans Landacharacter in the movie "Inglourious Basterds"
- Hans Grubercharacter in the movie "Die Hard"
- Hans Schielmancharacter in the game "The Testament of Sherlock Holmes"
- Hans Molemancharacter on "The Simpsons"
- Hans of the Southern Islesprince in the Disney movie "Frozen"
- Hans and Franzweightlifting duo in a "Saturday Night Live" sketch
- Hans Hubermanna character in "The Book Thief"
- Hans Keplercharacter from "Night Trains," by Barbara Wood