Saul Origin and Meaning
Jewish parents in particular may be drawn to this quiet, composed name of the first king of Israel and the name of Saint Paul before his conversion. In modern times, it has been associated with Nobel Prize-winning novelist Saul Bellow. Its meaning makes it appropriate for a long-awaited child.
Saul is a character in a John Dryden poem, and heard in the Handel oratorio, "Saul."
Some other Sauls of note: Saul Steinberg, known for his iconic New Yorker covers, and graphic artist/movie credit designer Saul Bass. The birth name of Guns n Roses's Slash is Saul Hudson. On recent TV, there have been Sauls on Breaking Bad and Homeland.
Saul Rank in US Top 1000
Saul Rank in Nameberry Top 1000
20 Names Similar to Saul
Famous People Named Saul
- Saul of Tarsusbirth name of Saint Paul the Apostle
- SaulBiblical first king of Israel
- Saul Stacey WilliamsAmerican poet and rapper
- Saul BassAmerican filmmaker
- Saul Aaron KripkeAmerican philosopher
- Saul RubinekCanadian actor, playwright, musician
- Saul Bellow (born Solomon Bellows)American novelist; winner of the Nobel Prize in Literature
- Saul PerlmutterAmerican astrophysicist; winner of the Nobel Prize in Physics
- Saul ZaentzAmerican film producer
- Saul David AlinskyAmerican community organizer
- Saul Hudson aka SlashBritish,American guitarist of band Guns 'n' Roses
- Saul ChaplinAmerican composer
- Saul LeiterAmerican photographer
Saul in Pop Culture
- Saul Goodmancharacter on TV's "Breaking Bad" and main character on TV's "Better Call Saul"
- Saul Berensoncharacter on TV's "Homeland"
- Saul Silvercharacter in film "Pineapple Express"
- Saul aka Garbhahsien, character in Marvel's X,Force Comics
- Saul Bennettcharacter in the Australian soap opera Home and Away
- Saul Karathcharacter in video game Knights of the Old Republic
- Saul Malonecharacter on TV's Saul of the Mole Men
- Saul Tighcharacter on TV's Battlestar Galactica
Saul in Nameberry Blog Posts
- Bright, Sunny Baby Names for the Summer Solstice
- The Cutest Celebrity Baby Names
- French Flower Names Are Chic and Fresh
- Literary Names: Great American Novel namesakes 101
- Hanukkah Baby Names: Sweet-Spot Biblical Boy Names
- Unique Middle Names You Didn't Even Know Were Names
- December Baby Announcements: From Arianne Sparrow to Zelda Louise
- Unusual Bible Names Feel Fresh Again