Diminutive of Emily and Emma"work; universal"
Emmy Origin and Meaning
The name Emmy is girl's name meaning "work; universal".
Long a nickname for all the Em-names, as well as an annual award, Emmy is now being given on its own, as are soundalikes Emme and Emmi. Might be too identified with the TV awards--though that doesn't seem to have hurt Oscar or Tony. We think Emmy is a little too cutesey, and is probably best kept as a nickname for something that ages a little better.
# 539 in the US
Emmy Rank in US Top 1000
20 Names Similar to Emmy
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Emmy.
Famous People Named Emmy
- Emmanuelle "Emmy" RossumAmerican actress and singer,songwriter
- Mary Elizabeth "Emmy" ClarkeAmerican actress
- (Amalie) Emmy NoetherGerman mathematician
- Emmy the Great (born EmmaLee Moss), English singer,songwriter
- Emmy Destinn (born Ema Destinnová) Czech operatic soprano
- Emmy (born Emma Bejanyan)Armenian pop singer
- Emmy Hennings (born Emma Maria Cordsen)German performer and poet
- Emmy Goring (born Emma Johanna Henny Sonnemann)German actress
- Emmy LooseAustrian operatic soprano
- Emmy Lichtwitz KrassoAustrian painter
- Emmy Charlotte Ponting (b. 2008)daughter of cricketer Ricky Ponting
Emmy in Pop Culture
- Emmy AwardsTV awards
- Emmymain female character on "Dragon Tales" & older sister to Max
- EmmyMadeInJapana YouTube channel dedicated to snack tasting
- Emmy Slatterycharacter in Margaret Mitchell's Gone with the Wind
- Emmy Garrettmain character in "Stork's Nest by J. Breckenridge Ellis and film "Emmy of Stork's Nest"
- Emmy Starrcharacter in "Sims" series
- Emmy MirskyAdam Goldberg's friend in ABC's "The Goldbergs"