Rita Origin and Meaning
The name Rita is a girl's name of Hindi origin meaning "pearl".
One of the glamour girl names of the Rita Hayworth 1940s, Rita was once a Top 50 name and stayed on the SSA list until 2002. It still has enough Latin zip to be a lively, revivable short form of Margarita. Other namesakes include Puerto Rican actress/singer Rita Moreno (born Rosa), poet Rita Dove and novelist Rita Mae Brown. Rita Skeeter is a Harry Potter character.
20 Names Similar to Rita
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Rita.
Want to keep track of your favorite names?
Create an account and you can create lists, keep track of favorites, and even be alerted when there is new content posted about a name.
Lists containing Rita
- Names from Harry Potter
- International Variations of Margaret
- Streamlined Baby Names
- Old Hollywood Names for Girls
- Unique Vintage Names for Girls
- Uncommon Girl Names in the US
- Names That Mean Strong
- Names That Mean Strong, Brave or Powerful
- Old People Names
- Saints' Names for Girls
- Top 1920s Baby Names
- Names Inspired by The Beatles
Famous People Named Rita
- Saint Rita of CasciaAugustinian nun
- Rita of ArmeniaEmpress consort of Michael IX Palaiologos of the Byzantine Empire
- Rita Hayworth (born Margarita Carmen Cansino)American actress
- Rita Dolores Moreno (born Rosa Dolores Alverío)Puerto Rican,American actress and singer
- Rita RudnerAmerican comedienne
- Rita Sahatçiu OraBritish/Kosovare singer,songwriter
- Rita Antoinette Rizzo aka Mother AngelicaAmerican founder of the EWTN TV network
- Rita Joanne SimonsEnglish actress
- Rita TushinghamEnglish actress
- Rita Volk (born Margarita Volkovinskaya)Uzbek,American actress
- Rita Wilson (born Margarita Ibrahimoff)American actress; wife of actor Tom Hanks
- Rita LeeBrazilian lead singer of rock band Os Mutantes
- Rita Frances DoveAmerican poet
- Rita Mae BrownAmerican novelist and activist
- Rita LeviMontalcini, Italian neurobiologist; winner of the Nobel Prize for Medicine
- Alpharita Constantia "Rita" MarleyCuban,Jamaican singer; widow of singer Bob Marley
- Rita MacNeilCanadian country music singer
- Rita CoolidgeAmerican singer,songwriter
Rita in Pop Culture
- Rita Skeetercharacter from the "Harry Potter" series
- Rita Rose Vrataskicharacter in movie "Edge of Tomorrow"
- Ritacharacter in the Divergent series
- Rita Bennettcharacter on TV's "Dexter"
- RitaSaluki dog in Disney's "Oliver & Company"
- Rita Tannercharacter on British soap "Coronation Street"
- Rita Morrischaracter on British TV series "Single Father"
- Rita Masoncharacter in "Does My Head Look Big in This?" by Randa Abdel,Fattah
- Rita Nelsoncharacter in video game "The Sims 3" Moonlight Bay
- Rita Ortizmain character in "The Second Time We Met" by Leila Cobo
- Rita Barbercharacter on TV's "American Gothic"
- Rita Georgecharacter in the "St Clare" book series by Enid Blyton
- Ritasinging cat in animated series "Animaniacs," partner of Runt
- Susan "Rita" Whitecharacter in film "Educating Rita"
- Ritacharacter in 2002 film "Cypher"
- Ritaroller coaster at Alton Towers
- Ritared fox in Danish animated series "Jungledyret Hugo"
- Rita Mordiocharacter in video game "Tales of Vesperia"
- Rita Repulsamain villain on TV's "Mighty Morphin Power Rangers"
- Rita Stapletoncharacter on American soap "The Guiding Light"
- Rita Louise Watsonmain character in Sister Act 2: Back in the Habit
- Rita Loudcharacter from the Nickelodeon show "The Loud House"
- Rita Santoscharacter on TV's "Mako Mermaids"
- "Lovely Rita" song by The Beatles
- Hurricane Rita
- Ritacharacter on "The Penumbra Podcast"