Spanish, diminutive of Margarita"pearl"
Rita Origin and Meaning
The name Rita is a girl's name of Hindi origin meaning "pearl".
One of the glamour girl names of the Rita Hayworth 1940s, Rita was once a Top 50 name and stayed on the SSA list until 2002. It still has enough Latin zip to be a lively, revivable short form of Margarita. Other namesakes include Puerto Rican actress/singer Rita Moreno (born Rosa), poet Rita Dove and novelist Rita Mae Brown. Rita Skeeter is a Harry Potter character.
20 Names Similar to Rita
These 20 names were selected by our users that were looking for other names like Rita.
Lists containing Rita
- Names from Harry Potter
- International Variations of Margaret
- Streamlined Baby Names
- Old Hollywood Names for Girls
- Unique Vintage Names for Girls
- Uncommon Girl Names in the US
- Top 1920s Baby Names
- Names Inspired by The Beatles
- Names That Mean Strong, Brave or Powerful
- Names That Mean Strong
- Old People Names
- Saint Names
- Saints' Names for Girls
- Confirmation Names for Girls
- Badass Girl Names
Famous People Named Rita
- Saint Rita of CasciaAugustinian nun
- Rita of ArmeniaEmpress consort of Michael IX Palaiologos of the Byzantine Empire
- Rita Hayworth (born Margarita Carmen Cansino)American actress
- Rita Dolores Moreno (born Rosa Dolores Alverío)Puerto Rican,American actress and singer
- Rita RudnerAmerican comedienne
- Rita Sahatçiu OraBritish/Kosovare singer,songwriter
- Rita Antoinette Rizzo aka Mother AngelicaAmerican founder of the EWTN TV network
- Rita Joanne SimonsEnglish actress
- Rita TushinghamEnglish actress
- Rita Volk (born Margarita Volkovinskaya)Uzbek,American actress
- Rita Wilson (born Margarita Ibrahimoff)American actress; wife of actor Tom Hanks
- Rita LeeBrazilian lead singer of rock band Os Mutantes
- Rita Frances DoveAmerican poet
- Rita Mae BrownAmerican novelist and activist
- Rita LeviMontalcini, Italian neurobiologist; winner of the Nobel Prize for Medicine
- Alpharita Constantia "Rita" MarleyCuban,Jamaican singer; widow of singer Bob Marley
- Rita MacNeilCanadian country music singer
- Rita CoolidgeAmerican singer,songwriter
Rita in Pop Culture
- Rita Skeetercharacter from the "Harry Potter" series
- Rita Rose Vrataskicharacter in movie "Edge of Tomorrow"
- Ritacharacter in the Divergent series
- Rita Bennettcharacter on TV's "Dexter"
- RitaSaluki dog in Disney's "Oliver & Company"
- Rita Tannercharacter on British soap "Coronation Street"
- Rita Morrischaracter on British TV series "Single Father"
- Rita Masoncharacter in "Does My Head Look Big in This?" by Randa Abdel,Fattah
- Rita Nelsoncharacter in video game "The Sims 3" Moonlight Bay
- Rita Ortizmain character in "The Second Time We Met" by Leila Cobo
- Rita Barbercharacter on TV's "American Gothic"
- Rita Georgecharacter in the "St Clare" book series by Enid Blyton
- Ritasinging cat in animated series "Animaniacs," partner of Runt
- Susan "Rita" Whitecharacter in film "Educating Rita"
- Ritacharacter in 2002 film "Cypher"
- Ritaroller coaster at Alton Towers
- Ritared fox in Danish animated series "Jungledyret Hugo"
- Rita Mordiocharacter in video game "Tales of Vesperia"
- Rita Repulsamain villain on TV's "Mighty Morphin Power Rangers"
- Rita Stapletoncharacter on American soap "The Guiding Light"
- Rita Louise Watsonmain character in Sister Act 2: Back in the Habit
- Rita Loudcharacter from the Nickelodeon show "The Loud House"
- Rita Santoscharacter on TV's "Mako Mermaids"
- "Lovely Rita" song by The Beatles
- Hurricane Rita
- Ritacharacter on "The Penumbra Podcast"