Penelope is a classic name that's been leaping up the charts, thanks to the glamorous image of Spanish actress Penelope Cruz and its choice by Kourtney Kardashian for her young daughter. It's one of the fastest-rising names, leaping to Number 56 in 2013, its first year in the Top 100, and now at Number 27. Penelope was also picked for their girls by Tina Fey, by Anna Chlumsky, and by Natalie and Taylor Hanson, of the group Hanson. In 2001, before this rash of celebrity usage, Penelope was down at Number 945.
Penelope has long been associated with the faithful, long-suffering wife of Odysseus in Homer's Odyssey. It has several British novelists as namesakes—Penelopes Fitzgerald, Mortimer, Gilliatt, and Lively. And yes, she's also a Harry Potter character: Penelope "Penny" is a student at Hogwarts.
Penelope is a strong Nameberry favorite, though instead of the traditional Penny as a nickname, many Berries suggest Nell or Poppy.
Lists containing Penelope:
- Hot Celebrity Baby Names
- Girl Names Trendier Than You Think
- Girl Baby Names Moving Up Fast
- Old Lady Names
- Vintage Baby Names for Girls
- Mythological Baby Names for Girls
- Latin Baby Names
- Jane Austen Baby Names
- Cool Baby Names That Start With P
- Reality TV Baby Names
- Baby Name Favorites Right Now
- Antique Baby Names Back in Style
- Popular Baby Names 2017
- Greek Baby Names for Modern Kids
- Fashionable Classic Baby Names